Help

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by TimClark, Nov 12, 2005.

1. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

Well, I'm 14 and I have always wanted to design boats. But I don't know where to start with learning the equations and other things. I just draw the boats but don't know what to do. I want to be able to design my own dinghy and then I am planning on building it and then moving up from there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

TimClark: I want to be able to design my own dinghy and then I am planning on building it and then moving up from there.

Very wise. That's an excellent way to start. You can build a small rowboat with just one 4'x8' sheet of plywood, some furring stock, and miscellaneous small pieces. Or a faster but harder one with two sheets. It's fun trying to see how much boat you can squish into the amount of space you have.

Here are some links:
    The Rules
    Ted Brewer's boat design primer
    A boatbuilding school
    Lots of free small-boat plans

And books:

Code:
    Phil Bolger        Boats with an Open Mind
    Dave Gerr          The Nature of Boats
    Ted Brewer         Understanding Boat Design
    John Teal          How to Design a Boat
    Robert Steward     Boatbuilding Manual

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Welcome aboard, Tim!

Small row/sail is definitely a good way to start. The books Skippy mentions are pretty standard resources (I'm a Bolger fan myself, the Bolger/Payson books got me hooked and building my first boat). Designing a small row/sail boat is definitely within the abilities of a keen student; it's a challenge, but one you can probably conquer with a bit of reading and practice. Cardboard models are extremely helpful in visualizing your ideas, they don't need to be big or elaborate to give you some idea how your drawings might come together. Have fun, and keep us posted!

4. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

I'm planning on building my own Jimmy Skiff. I am gonna modify the basic shape and design to fit me and what I'll be using it for. Thanks.

Tim

5. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

Skippy, that link from the high school website is actually the high school in the next town over from me. If only I went there.... :rolleyes:

Tim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.