Ground Effect Vehicles (not WIG)

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by tom kane, Oct 27, 2013.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I would like to travel just above the surface in ground effect not always in the water or always in the air. I do not want to go high speed but be able to clear low objects in the water or on land. I think that an old decommissioned helicopter would be a good place to start.
    Hover craft cushion craft are not for me because of the many disadvantages.I think something like a helicopter but with a much simpler cheaper rotor system
    with less diameter, road transportable and a shrouded rotor for safe handling. I think these things can be accomplished on a mini budget. No grand scale proposals would be any good to me. And no expensive development ideas. $200k. I got a brief glance on a block buster film oo7 or some such geek with similar parameters. Of course I have made models.

Attached Files:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

First, you want WIG, GEV like you describe would be a lot of risk.

Second, since you like the 'hover' ideas, what you need would be based off of an autogyro ....

200k us might just do it, but the kind of avionics needed to remain in GEV and fly NOE is not inexpensive.

Wayne

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

4. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Prices without engines: http://www.auto-gyro.com/en/Gyrocopter-Configurator/?stepname=model&spot=spota

In Costa Rica. Priced with or without German taxes.

But, you have to purchase the Rotax engines separately .... strange pricing, even most home builts will show you the engine prices. The Rotax will run you about $30,000 plus install.

So, $100,000 plus avionics, that puts it in the low $120,000 with decent avionics and about 5 flight hours.

I wouldn't go under the 100hp version - extra power and fuel burn is better than not enough power when you need it.

These burn about 20 to 30 miles per gallon anyway, so not huge fuel burners.

They run about 100 mph flat out. Like most 'homebuilt' type aircraft, I think they list everything in miles, not knots. Consistency would be nice. Plus knot speeds are 10% faster.

:)

When are you taking us for a ride?

5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Sounds great this is no1 on my bucket list.
    I will not need avionic equipment (all manual) and do not need to have a pilots license or any control from government departments..even if I did I would not bother anyway they would have to catch me first. The principle of control of the craft is not the same as a conventional heli but guided by changes in center of gravity giving a pendulum effect
    No cyclic pitch control is needed but would be advantageous. Collective pitch control would be good but not necessary.

Attached Files:

6. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Tom,

you would not be the first to end their bucket list trying to fly without the proper gear .... nor the last.

Why not go with what is already working?

wayne

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Thank`s for your concern but I never take risks and I will use all the NECESSARY safety gear and use proven systems. I will not be flying in the usual sense that is far from my aim.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Tom,

I have had many friends over the years say the same and fly "into the ground" .... I guess you are better than they.

Wayne

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I am not going to fly I will just he hovering in ground effect which is not at all high with a small diameter rota system and no intention of traveling at any great speed. For any speed test use remote control.
    There is a chance of pitch-poling the craft or tripping over objects. No more dangerous than a cushion or hovercraft, probably safer even than an auto because of better control. Thank`s.

10. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Auto gyro ( air goes up through the blades) and wing principle require forward flying speed to be useful so not in my plans.
    It must have been in a clip of Bond..James Bond movie that I had a fleeting glance of him running up a ramp out of the water in his amphibian helicopter and stepping boldly ashore, could be just the design I want.

Attached Files:

11. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Helicopters are tricky to fly. Have you thought about ultralight aircraft instead? There are quite a few interesting models available. And they are surprisingly interesting in price.

12. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Friends have ultralights but they do not appeal to me. My design of helicopter (ground effect vehicle) is much different to the usual and because I must get others to do work for me that creates the situation that you have skeptics on the projects which will insure that you finish up with a lemon.
    A helicopter committed to ground effect flight only is an easier way to go, just make it safer. It really is only a trainer or even a simulator which are used to train pilots.
    www.brumbyhelicopters.com.au/cicaresvh3.htm

13. JSL

JSL Senior Member

How about an auto-gyro as previously mentioned. The was an outfit called Benson (sp?) years ago in the US that catered to the home builder for one or two place machines. They may even be still in business.

14. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

With an auto gyro you have to move forward to get flying speed or have a motor to spin your main rota to get lift and something for forward propulsion.. The lift for a auto gyro comes from the air going up through the rota.
    Just being able to hover is better with the air flow coming down through the rota I want to stay in the ground effect area which is very shallow with a small diameter rota. I have been practicing hovering a helicopter for quite a while now and am confident I would have no worries doing what I want to do in a helicopter confined to ground effect flight. Moving across water and flat land or swamp would be no problem providing you do not go to fast and trip over higher objects.

Changing a Robinson Heli to what I want would take just a few weeks. There surely must be people flying solely in ground effect with helicopters for training purposes some where but I have had no success finding them except in training schools with tethered copters. There are a lot of older copters for sale not expensive. Plenty of new ones for a price. Who in hell wants to fly away up high, I do not.

15. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

What do you think of this as a ground effect vehicle? Apparently by reports I have heard pilots sometimes flew in ground effect with their hands on their knees and the plane flew itself. This image is from an Armistice display at Karapiro Cambridge New Zealand.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.