Grizzly Shop/power tools

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bjl_sailor, Nov 8, 2004.

1. bjl_sailor

bjl_sailor Junior Member

Hi:

I am currently trying to find the best value in 14 -16" bandsaws that can run on both 110 and 220 Volts. (I'll be resawing 5/4 x 4" meranti into 3/16" planks for starters)

I'm finding the names Shop Fox, Grizzly and Rikon turning up as alternatives to jet and delta. Grizzly esp seems to be having pricing 'too good to be true" which usually means exactly that -- yet I just bought a very nice 18 gauge 3/8"-2" pneumatic brad nailer from them for only $29.00. -- I wanted to see the quality of their product and was astonished by it. It is made of very solid cast aluminum instead of stamped metal and compares nicely to my Bostich tools.

So with that said. Just wondering if any of you folks are using any of these 'non-delta / jet' machines and how they are treating you.

2. Kiernan

Kiernan New Member

Grizzly

I've just discovered Grizzly myself. Ordered adjusting countersink set to use on a project to rebung the cap rail on a Pearson 365; very thin rails. Good price delivered as promised. A new toy book if you ask me.

3. byankee

byankee Junior Member

I've got a Grizzly table saw that is a very nice machine for the price. The reviews I've seen of their machines all speak favorably. The 14" bandsaw (model G055%???) was given a positive review by Fine Woodworing or Popular Woodworking or some such magazine a while back (search the net for he review)

You should also post your question at

http://theoak.com/cgi-bin/tools1/tools1.pl

This is a woodworking forum I read that has memebers all over the place doing all sorts of commercial and hobby woodworking. There's quite a large number of folks there who are big fans of Grizzly equipment. They'll also give you the run down on the pros and cons of any machine you're considering. It's a good resource.....

BTW - Grizzly's customer service consistently receives very high marks

4. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

No personal experience but my Uncle has had great success with his Grizzly band saw. Keep in mind he is a part time gunsmith and does not subject the saw to long hours. But he's had it about 8 yrs I think and never had a problem.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.