Should I epoxy meranti 1088 entirely?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Florida_Skiffs, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Florida_Skiffs

Florida_Skiffs Junior Member

Building a lumber yard skiff 16, fiberglassing and epoxyiong the joints, is it nessacerry to epoxy the whole boat?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Do yourself a favor and download the free user's guides from westsystem.com and systemthree.com. This will cover the basics and answer most of your questions. Of course the user's guides tend to feature their own products, but the techniques work with any epoxy.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

No, but it would be best to do it that way. Any Exposed wood will absorb moisture from the air as well as from the water. The wood then expands and contracts with temperature and humidity. It could also develop rot which could spread. It's best to seal all of the wood, especially the edges. I recently rebuilt the interior flooring and sole of an 18 foot Sea Ray, in which most of the wood had rotted out. I sealed all of the wood. It really didn't cost that much more to do it all, and it will probably never have to be done again. I have also built several wooden dinghies and sealed all of the wood. They are both sitting outside in the pouring rain and I don't have to worry about rot.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.