Grind/Clean/prime then paint vinyl and aluminum

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by the brain, Dec 21, 2017.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It just needs to be clean, primer is not needed.

the brain likes this.
  2. the brain

the brain Senior Member

first of 5 exterior panel covering ricer style. been trying to smooth out air bubbles.

Attached Files:

3. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I managed to puncture tiny holes in the middle of the air blobs then squeeze the air out so no more unpleasant air blobs.

The ring of life covers most of the imperfections the direct sunlight helped activate the glues bond to metal very strong glue and vinyl. Just hope is durable enough for chains anchors ect. To bounce off and not mark up to badly.

my main con cern I haven't been able to correct is the upper diagonal seam can't get this vinyl to stretch enough and adhere to the middle of seam it's like the vinyl is sticking up and there's a big air blob in between the seam. I have tryed to heat w/ hairdryer then apply pressure w/ a ruler.

next apply continuous pressure w/ C-clamp on ruler.

I believe this big air blob in between the seam will exceeded the vinyl allowable 10% stretch.

for me when suns light shines on this carbon fiber it definitely has the it factor .next upper rear bulkhead these next 2 pieces 2.5' will be easier than the first 5' side piece.

Last edited: May 4, 2019

4. the brain

the brain Senior Member

update:the air blobs are still there. main blob right just right side of window. even after I heated w/ hairdryer then pressed in w/ a block of wood that I c-clamped to the window.

maybe I could get a springe and inject some glue while heating it. the vinyle has a strech tolerance of 10% if strech exceeds tolerance it will rip.
    how doe's this stuff look good/bad/ugly?TB

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.