Greetings.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by sail.scow, Aug 11, 2008.

1. sail.scow

sail.scow Rrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I have moved ashore for a month, house-sitting. Internet, 'puter and Marchaj at hand. Not forgetting Freeship of course.

I have had a smouldering desire to draw a coastal/sheltered-water scow for some time. About 45' or so, most likely schooner rig. Sort of inspired by William Garden's Tillicum.

I look forward to subscribing to a few threads that capture my interest, and meeting some like-minded contributors.

sail.scow

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

What material were you considering? a pic of Tillicum would be interesting too.

3. sail.scow

sail.scow Rrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Tillicum

I found a copy of Garden's Tillicum in an old scow thread.

I loaded the images in Freeship, and pulled the lines out of the images. As usual, the drawn lines didn't lend themselves to sub-divisioned surfaces.

The curved shear and flat bottom were too much of a head-ache, so I settled for a curved rocker without the flat. Thinking about it now after a nights rest, I think I want that flat bottom to dampen down pitching.
    See attached screen-shot.

Today I am thinking of focusing on a square box with appropriately shaped ends. The hardest thing is the sides, and the desire to keep them plumb, from stem to stern. The Alma looks sort of nice to me.
    See attached image.

Re. materials, I am considering steel or pine. Strong or cheap. Depends on how the boat grows on me.

sail.scow

Attached Files:

4. sail.scow

sail.scow Rrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.