HELIUM

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Chris Ostlind, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

I have to apologize to the gang here.

When I saw that Doug had posted twice on this thread today, I immediately assumed that he had announced that he was dropping everything on this project, yet again. I mistook the posting frequency for an announcement that he had gone off in a totally new direction with the Trapped Wing, now that he has revealed that the secret weapon of the BMWO trimaran is HELIUM.

That's right folks...Helium! Who could resist such a sultry siren's call when it comes to a hollow, water-tight Trapped Wing that is supposed to intuitively fly across the boat at the speed of light... all while whisking its occupant along at unheard of speeds. Just a bit more fiddling with the build and you can make the wing helium tight, so why settle for mere, pedestrian air within the magical chamber.

The mind boggles... but I digress. So far, Doug has not seen the connection and how it might truly take his proposed and as yet, un-modeled boat, to new heights... if you'll pardon the pun.

So consider me so anxious that I've gone and jumped the revolution. ;-)

Yes, this is gently fashioned satire, so please view it as such.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Are you stalking him . . . :?:

Good last note! So lets do that - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - and end it here!

Cheers!
    Angel

1 person likes this.
  3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I thought it was pretty dam funny Chris

what I find interesting is that the logical development of helium use in wing sails is that the sail develops a thicker cord to accommodate more helium for a similar surface area and lift to drag ratio

might end up seeing 3'+ thick wing sails

frankly the idea of using the sail as a balloon of sorts is pretty dam interesting

4. masalai

masalai masalai

One minor flaw? - - - Being somewhat near the second smallest molecule how will you ensure its retention in the "bag", if held at more than atmospheric pressure at the altitude of normal operation and how will the shaping segments hold and be re-supplied with lost helium?

Even a child's rubber/latex balloon deflates within 24 hours (unless "dad" comes along and inhales the helium to speak briefly in a funny voice) ???

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

would be interesting to see an electron microscope scan of what an epoxy matrix looks like in comparison to a helium atom

well I didnt find that but I did find a lot about the impermeability of epoxy to helium
    kinda a neat trick considering how small helium is

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I'm gunna stick with hot air, there's absolutly no shortage & comes cheap in the world of sailing. All the best in your endeavours from Jeff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.