Greenwood xl Plywood ??

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by pescaloco, Jan 25, 2009.

1. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Hey guys,

Sorry for another plywood question, I have searched a lot of old posts and have not come up with a definte position.

So here is my deal, I have a 27ft sportfisher hull that I bought from a local builder (fiberglass hull w/laminated plywood stringer system and exterior grade fir plywood bulk heads encapsulated in FRP)

I need to build the cap rail and deck the boat.
    I like the sound and the price of the Greenwood industries XL boat panels, they are $69.00 for a 3/4 in 4x8 panel plus shipping.
    My big problem with a much "more" expensive Marine plywood would be the fact the builder has allready used ACX for internal structure.The XL panels sound great for their rot resistance and a step up in quality from ACX.

In my research I have seen that quite a few builders use Greenwood XL panels encapsulated in FRP.
    I have also read that these panels may be suspect for delamination of FRP sheathing due to the chemical treatment frocess ??

I hope some of you can lend your experience and advise, I am stuck on my decision to buy the materials.
    I DO NOT plan to use epoxy I am going with a Vinyl ester resin

Thanks in advance