atkin design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jessab2933, Nov 13, 2009.

1. jessab2933

jessab2933 New Member

Does anyone if atkin's MISSIE AND LAURIE has been built and had her performance rated. Is this a seaworthy boat?

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Did you look here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtkinBoats/

??

And I would guess she is a capable boat. Maybe not thought for LA to Hawaii, but seaworthy she seems to me. Have´nt seen or heard of real iisues with Atkin boats, as long as built per plan and used as intended.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

As with most flat bottom, centerboard shapes, she'll have a less then desirable stability curve (unlikely self righting, capsize prone, etc.) for deep water work, but careful coastal cruising would be acceptable. She'll be fairly comfortable considering her dimensions and easy to motivate, but tight in the accommodation department compared to modern yachts of the same length.

She's a cruiser and an old one at that, so I'm not sure what type of "performance rating" you're interested in. Considering her quite low aspect ratio and gaff headed sail area, likely not a sparkling sailor. I don't know her SA/D but would guess 14's or low 15's which isn't going to raise many eyebrows.

4. jessab2933

jessab2933 New Member

atkin

thanks guys-- i live in newfoundland where there are lots of lovely bays and, of course, the north atlantic. i want to avoid the expense of a heavy displacement, ballast keeled, boat and i need a design that will be safe in what may be described as rough conditions.

cheers, nathaniel

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A wisely handled Missie can handle rough water, but emphasis must be placed on "wisely handled". The Spray made it around the world twice and had a terrible stability curve. Then again, she was also handled by a very experienced skipper with exceptional seamanship skills. What is you experience and seamanship level?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.