Odor from waste tank vent

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SteelTrawler, Jun 22, 2008.

1. SteelTrawler

SteelTrawler Junior Member

What is the correct way to ventilate a waste tank to prevent other boats leaving the marine when you flush? Are carbon filters effective? Does anyone have a design for an effective filter?
    I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Mel Crane

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Yes carbon filters work, so does some chlorine put into the toilet, and then on into the tank also helps get rid of the smell, for a while.
    Most important is to have actually plenty of ventilation in the black water tank thus allowing oxygen to enter the tank and feed the good guys (aerobic bacteria). These little suckers are what you actually want in the tank, they eat up all the poo. It is the anaerobic bacteria that stink, and if you think i am talking ****, go smell a septic thank that someone has killed, they seriously pong. A good tanl, with plenty of air flow will actuall smell sweet, albiet sometimes unpleasant.

Now having said all that:

The cheapest way to do the carbon filter bit is not the Vetus catalogue, but the local water filter supplier, the silver carbon filters and containers work very well, and 1/5th the price of "Marine" ones.
    Allowing another vent to the tank allows a cross flow of air, make the pipes short and fat.

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

putting some yeast in ya tank is the best thing for ya bacteria needs,,,(works at home too)

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Bucket and chuck it!! works every time!! Just be careful where you chuck it! and lookout for evil coast watchers!!

5. SteelTrawler

SteelTrawler Junior Member

Thanks for the posts. I tried the chlorine and it is a big help. I will also try the filter. I have found a Jabsco filter that can be seen at http://www.wmjmarine.com/itt590001000.html
    Do you think this is large enough to help?

6. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Oh For Gad Sakes...

Hello...

Do all of the above twice a year - but mind the yeast if you want to use carbon filters for odour - sorry Much - the sugars muck up the works...

Go get one of these - and splice it into your vent line - see enclosed - somewhere where you can get to it - to replace the thing - manufacturer says every year - I say - how much you poop and what you eat and drink...:)

Jabsco is fine - but Sealand really specializes in this **** - pun intended...:)

You can recharge the things if you are a cheap *** - via this method - I have done same - very easy - but why would you want to - this guy has beaten the maunufacturer hands down - see http://presentationrentals.blogspot.com/...

You can also now see how this can be done large scale and hack - shut offs and a bipass - big PVC pipe with a threaded top or two piece union (onion) - and dumpable and replaceable carbon pellets - your call really...

Cross ventilation will not work when the boat is docked...

Happy pooping...

SH.

Attached Files:

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

wellz now i know betta!!,,and wont sound stoooopid when asked bout it,,Thanks Sean hehe :D;)

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

conversely wait until 0300 nip out when all is asleep and do yer business on the boat next door - blame his dog! I'll work for a ime but hell by the time the find out your in the next county! Just paint yer boat a different colour (color for the ******* -ain't that what we're talking about?) and grow a beard before going back next year!...........................well it's a thought!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.