CAD programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by shu, May 6, 2003.

1. shu

shu Junior Member

I have hull design software (Vacanti's Prolines) and I've been fiddling with a demo of ProSurf. I want to be able to export the hull surface files into a 3D CAD program for drafting construction drawings, details, layouts, etc., and for exporting panels and bulkheads as dxf files for CNC cutting. I'm only a student, so can't justify shelling out the big bucks yet. I am familiar with AutoCAD, but it is so expensive.

Does anyone have suggestions? :?:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

TC V7 will do many things that AC will do. It also has many faults. For some 3D work and for 2D documentation at under $20.00 it’s a good place to start. The guest post above was mine.

Good luck
    Gary :D

4. shu

shu Junior Member

Thanks for the ideas, I'll have a look. But I was hoping for something without a lot of problems. I am willing to pay a few hundred dollars, if that opens up the field any.

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

If you're willing to spring a few hundred, look at Rhino (www.rhino3d.com). It is fast becoming the "standard" for cheapskate designers like me who don't have the necessary for SolidWorks or Pro/E ;-)

STeve

6. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

“I'm only a student,”

Check this out. Rhino 3.0 for students

Give the demos a try and see what fits.

Gary :D

7. nero

nero Senior Member

TouchCAD

Take a look at TouchCAD. It runs well on Macs and it was my choice because of the price and marine calculations it does. After using it, I find it an extremely powerful modeler. It is for 3D what Adobe Illustrator is for 2D.

8. jprev

jprev Junior Member

AutoSketch reads .dxf files from other outputs. It's affordable and comprehensive compared to AutoCad Lite.

Also, if you can find it used QuickCad will read .dxf easily and is an excellent CAD program.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.