Great Multihull Video

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jan 26, 2010.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

This trimaran nearly ran us down in Sardinia during summer, mad bugger screaming past us at high speed when we were in a 43' charter yacht.

I bumped into her again (pun intended..) in Loano, Liguria 10 days later.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Maserati

They hit something underwater at 30 knots costing them their stb rudder on the way to the Middle Sea Race-which they won thanks to Phaedo.
    How close did you actually get? Was she flying at the time?

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Sodebo Ultime powering along while training for "The Bridge" where four Ultimes (Sodebo Ultime, Macif, IDEC and Actual) will race against each other and the Queen Mary 2 from Saint Nazaire to New York:

jorgepease likes this.
  4. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

Thanks for posting
    great shots of the C-foil in action in combination with the centerboard.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks, Corely! Great illustration of what a daggerboard lifting foil(like Maserati) could do! It's obvious they have rudder T foils on the amas-I wonder if they have one on the central rudder?
    The ama foils appear to be UptiP foils instead of "C" foils....

6. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

[​IMG] Not sure what the nomenclature is but the very tips do appear to be directed downward, the foil is basically retractable and there is no case adjustment as would be necessary with a full uptip foil. Still checking but Sodebo foil images returns no clear results. very secret. "Mais pour l'instant, nous restons discrets sur cette évolution stratégique." :eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I think the uptip portion of the foil has a small winglet on it pointed down to reduce drag.....
    UPDATE-----I could have sworn that Sodebos ama foils were uptip foils but just now I've searched all my saved pictures and can't find a single picture of a deployed ama foil so I guess they could be "C" foils.......

8. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

Makes sense as Sodebo is not a full foiler. Eventually a good photo will surface, give it time.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Found it! The reason this type of foil is better on an ama is that it has automatic altitude control that remains relatively constant with changes in speed whereas a "C" foil has no automatic altitude control and therefore ama altitude can vary a lot with speed. I think this boat is designed to foil because it has ama T-foil rudders which are critical for a foiler-combine them with an uptip ama foil and,voila-you have a foiler-in certain conditions.
    This picture doesn't show the little winglets-they must have been added since it was taken.

sodebo-ultim-UptiP Ama foil.jpg

10. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Rudder T-foils-see the video at approx. 1:45 in.......

12. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

yes, looks like a recent addition for the 2017 season. Added merely for pitch damping?

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Here is Gitana 17 which recently released this render with the caveat that it was not entirely accurate. The reason is it does not show the lifting foil I'm certain will be on the daggerboard, but it does show the UptiP ama foils and the rudder t-foils:

Gitana 17-inaccurate renders-does not show dgrbd foil-uptip and rudder t-foils.jpg

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------------
    I wouldn't say "merely" for pitch damping since they are likely to carry some of the load and work with the ama foils to allow foiling in some conditions....

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This is an old video but the way it is filmed is just terrific. The shots with a windsurfer center screen then a gigantic tri works into the frame passing the windsurfer-so cool!

Ilan Voyager and Corley like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.