Great Boat Design Software (3D Boat Design vs. Freeship)

Discussion in 'Software' started by irlandes1, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

As the original developer of FREE!ship I can confirm that the two programs are completely identical.
    I've had the opportunity to look at the "modified" source code of the "new" program. There are no features added (or removed for that matter). The only modifications made were:
    • The startup screen image has been replaced with a new image.
    • All references to the original program name have been removed from the sourcecode.
    • References to the GPL license have been removed.
    • etc.
    He did the same to the manual, but he was smart enough to leave the original copyright notices in place.
    In other words, the program has just been renamed in an attempt to hide its open-source nature. The guy has a reputation of doing this.
    In addition to FREE!ship he also sells an open-source flight simulator. (see the remarkible simularities between http://www.flightgear.org/features and http://www.flightprosim.com/
    Coincidently the latter has exactly the same look as the 3Dboatdesign website...........
    It's not completely illegal but I think it's very immoral (to say the least!).
    And yes, several screenshots o the website are ripped from the original FREE!ship website (which was copyrighted!).

Regarding support, he has no knowledge whatsoever of boats (or programming) so don't get your hopes up.
    The good news is that all future updates will be for free!! I'm anxiously waiting for the first update :D

Considering the way "irlandes1" is defending this whole scam I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is in fact Andrew Casey from New Zealand, the guy behind 3Dboatdesign.com.
    I think it would be very easy for Jeff to trace back the origins of the IP address connected to his posts.:)

2. irlandes1

irlandes1 Junior Member

To Martijn_vE ,

I assure you I am not Andrew Casey, My name is Mike and I live in NY.
    I found this product on an affiliate marketing site.
    It seemed like a good product to promote for extra income and it fit with the theme of my site!

And the only thing I was defending was myself, I don't like being referred to as a fraud or a scammer. I was placing a post for a product I believed to be of interest to the people on this forum.

I do not condone anyone stealing your work and calling it their own. I have removed this product from my website and I also have reported this experience to the site which I find my affiliate products.

I hope this will shed light on what I was doing and as for Mr. Casey, at least you know who he is and what he's doing with your product!

3. Martijn_vE

Thanks for clarifying that Mike.
    I seem to have missed your original post, so sorry if I took you for someone else. You just had the "luck" to market the software in the wrong place (There are lots of FREE!ship users here...)

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well, clever to paddle back Mike! Freeship and Delftship are probably the best known programmes at this place (at least by the seniors), and most of us know that Martijn was / is the developer.

I still wonder how one gets a reputation of 21 points in just 6 posts with a negative echo???
    And I smell a rat!
    Regards
    Richard

5. irlandes1

irlandes1 Junior Member

Well as far as that goes,

I don't know!

I was not even aware of the point system until you commented on it.

If it is that important to you bring it to the attention of whom ever can take the points away from me.

Otherwise get over it and grow up!

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

You´re quite a nice guy! And a smart one too, knowing how to use the rest of the forum tools, but naturally not that one.
    Do as you promised, leave this place no one needs you here.

And it´s too late for me to grow up, i´m just getting older now (but still wiser).

7. Martijn_vE

"pitty points" maybe? :cool:

8. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

Well, I for one am very grateful for this topic being aired, as I was unaware of the Freeship software. This has come along at just the right time for me (see the "Efficient electric boat" thread) as I was trying to optimise a small boat design.

I'm very pleased to say that I loaded Freeship this afternoon, spent a couple of hours getting to grips with it and managed to transfer my model design into it and do all the required calculations and optimisation very easily. The modified model is now sitting, waiting for the glue to harden, before I take some more pictures.

Thank you very much indeed, Martijn_vE, for developing this superb software and releasing it under the GNU licence, it's proving to be very useful to me indeed.

Jeremy

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

So, thanks Mike! At least one positive aspect was found at your thread. I guess we can leave the place now.

Regards
    Richard

10. Martijn_vE

You're welcome Jeremy. Have fun with it!

11. tsoe

tsoe New Member

up to your design process

just saw your posts,
    after colaboration with some designers for 11 projects for me it looks as if the use of software basically is different from project to project. Those who know what they want are mainly constructing, and then such software like delftship is very well.
    Those who look for nice and fitting lines to their early idears better cope with allround-3d-programs as Lightwave (.com) ore Cinnema 4d (maxon.net) 'cause you can play a lot more with shapes colors and images before gettting "serious".
    I'm doing my external Service with Lightwave. Even my simplest renderings with it got well enough to be on the first pages on several google servers (pictures - extra large "yacht" and below). With such a software you need no idear about engeneering but you can show what you got in your mind.

http://www.tsoe.com/neu/hafencity.htm
    that's what i mean

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I agree. I was looking for free or affordable software so I could get my feet wet in CAD design, so to speak; I've used paper and pencil for 45 years to do all my drafting.

When I found 3d Boat Design, I googled for reviews of it. I started smelling a rat when every review I checked out was wildly enthusiastic. My reaction was, "oh, come on. This is the internet, for Heaven's sake. Somebody out there must hate it, if it's for real...."

So I googled '3d boat design scam,' and eventually wound up here. I saved the 47 bucks it would have cost me, and downloaded the latest free version of Delftship. I wound up with what seems to be a very good program for my modest needs (if and when I figure out how to use it properly).

Troy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.