grayish oil from my exhaust

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by kenrahe, Apr 23, 2010.

1. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

my top cylinder is not firing but has good spark no broken or stuck reed valve could this be my problem an what is it.seems to smoke more than normal it's on a 2004 9.9 mercury no water in my lower end checked level and ok.no water.:mad:

2. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

thanks to everyone especially wyand n

:) :p :D thanks to everyone for your feed back.especially WYAND N from south africa finally got the time to get to the motor after work with all ya'll's suggestions,and switched the coils around and now the top cylinder is firing and not the bottom.so today i'm going to our boat to get it ready to put back in for this season an get a new coil so now thanks to you guy's i have a safe an reliable dingy an motor for my wife and son. thanks thanks thanks:) ;) :p :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If it is not firing, the unburnt fuel and oil will emulsify with the cooling water and come out gray. Have you done a compression test?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.