Changing cutlass bearing

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by raf pali, Jun 23, 2013.

1. raf pali

raf pali Junior Member

Hi all.
    I need a new prop shaft and want to change the cutlass bearing too.
    I never taken any cutlass bearing off the stern tube before and wondering if these things are standard. How do they stay in place? are they just pressed on? The one I need to replace looks to be made of Lubron, a sort of black nylon and cannot see any mechanical clamping. The shaft is a 1"1/4 DIA and the stern tube is 2"1/4 I DIA galvanized steel going through a ferro-cement hull. Should I just try to punch it out from the inside, hammering on a pipe slipped into the stern tube?
    Thank you.
    I

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Hey mate, there are a few ways to do the job, it seems to be a one off bearing rom the description, as manufactured ones usually have a "casing" either brass (bronze) or plastic, as in Novasteen type bearings. Yours sounds like it was simply turned from stock round bar. Nothing wrong with that if it is the "right" plastic.

There is often a set of grub screws, comimg in from the sides, front and rear. Scrape off the antifouling there and see.
    If you feel that it is pressed in without retainers, then simply press it out again, you can use a simple puller made from a few booker bars and a cover plate.

You can also cut the old bearing out using a reciprocating saw, just being reasonably careful not to cut any more metal than happens. Cut thru one or both lengths longitudinally, it will simply fall out then with a screwdriver to lever it. If the grub screws are in there after all, they will be clearly visible then and you can remove them. They often are allen keyed.

Hope this helps. John.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They can be press fitted in or have set screws. You need to find out which method was used on yours. Scraping the paint will let you know.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.