Gray Marine 225??

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Dave B, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Dave B

Dave B Junior Member

I've been looking for an older boat with a strong engine and tranny to scavenge for an inboard boat I'm building. I'm talking to a guy with a 1962, 26' Tollycraft that has the original Gray Marine 225 that has about 20 hours on a total teardown and rebuild. This engine is the old AMC 327 that was put in the Ramblers (or so I'm told). One thing that it doesn't have is fresh water cooling and I still need to find out if they make conversion kits for that engine. In addition to the engine and drivetrain I could salvage the exhaust system (also brand new), rudder hardware and other misc. pieces from the hull. He's asking $5k, but would come down some.

What do you all think? Is this an engine worth using? From doing a little surfing I see that at least some parts are readily available, but are there enough to risk?

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

There is at least one site, http://www.graymarineparts.com/ for Gray marine engine parts; I've seen manuals also. There are plenty of sources for non-marine parts for AMC engines, so I wouldn't worry about parts.

If the engine had many hours in salt water, potential corrosion damage is the likely source of any future problems. If you can speak with anyone at the shop that did the teardown/rebuild, specific questions about the condition of the block and cooling passages should receive specific answers.

If you can satisfy yourself as to the present condition of the engine, then it comes down to price, vs other engine choices avsilable. I think you'll be OK on parts.

3. Dave B

Dave B Junior Member

Charlie - thanks for the info.

I went and took a look at the boat today. I've posted some photos of the engine at www.tinyurl.com/9v5rm. Just click on the Gray Marine album but you may have to tell it to play the slideshow to view the pics. I don't know why, but Imagestation has been acting up lately.

The owner is down to $4,400 but I have no idea if this is a good deal, or not. There is very little other hardware on the hull that is salvageable except for the engine, guages, tranny, exhaust and rudder hardware. We didn't take it for a ride, but the engine started easily and purred. He doesn't know anything about the tranny except that it's a velvet drive and he hasn't had any trouble with it. Is this a reasonable price???

If I were to buy it, I'd have a closed cooling system made for it. An outfit in Florida quoted $1,200 for a custom system made for the engine (so far I haven't found any ready made kits). I'd also install electronic ignition and go ahead and tear down the transmission just to check it before everything goes back together.

I'm a little concerned about the exhaust risers (they're also new) but perhaps some of you could shed some light on it. The raw water being sent out the exhaust enters at the bottom of the risers just aft of the manifolds. I don't know how else you'd do it since the riser needs to be cooled, but what keeps some of that moisture from being sucked back into the engine when it's shut off? Is this normal?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Dave B

4. Big H Buck

Big H Buck Junior Member

Hi Dave

Just read your post today.
    If you are still looking for a Gray Marine 327, I have one.
    It is a 1968, from a C.C. and it Runs Great
    It includes the velvet drive transmission, and water cooled exaust
    manifolds,exaust risers,and a Y-Pipe for 2-into one exaust if so desired.
    It also has water-cooled transmission coolers.
    If you are interested, you can e-mail me at northchannel@msn.com
    Thank-you.

5. Çemberci

Çemberci Senior Member

Attached Files:

6. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Dave I think the price is a bit high at 4.4K I would like to see it closer to 2K.

K9

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

When gas engines were common , and sea water cooled ,

the rule of thumb was an engine with over 4 years of service would NOT be rebuilt as the block would not last out the rebuild hours.

IF this was a fresh water engine it may be OK, of it was in Salt Water plan on a swop.

AS these are simple car engines , the cost of a junkyard engine and a rebuild is fairly low, and could be done in advance , just in case!

If you were keeping the Tollycraft it Might be worth the chance, as a parts source , its WAY WAY too expensive , try $500 for everything as scrap.

FF

8. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and just get a big block Chevy or Ford, and a used 72C velvet drive tranny. MUCH MUCH easier to get parts for anywhere you may go. Plus he's asking WAY too much for just a "replacement engine" if it was pristine, and you where dropping it in a show boat, I could then understand the high cost.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.