wood

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Madray, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Madray

Madray Junior Member

Hello can you use Keruing wood for the ribs of a boat,and does fiber glass stick to it

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Really hard to give a useful answer without more info.

What type of boat, is this a new build or repair, what type of construction, bent frames, steamed frames, sawn frames, laminated frames, mechanical fastenings.....and what is the fiberglass for? Then the wood, when and how was it sawn, is it air or kiln dried? Why use Keruing and not something else?

3. Madray

Madray Junior Member

power 2.2

Power 2.2 by Matthew Clark ,why i am asking because i can get my hands on keruing for free and 18mm wisa deck,its a new build,the fiber glass will be put on the in side,been trying to get some douglas fir but no wood yards sell it up north ie ,newcastle,cheers Ray

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

glassing to try epoxy but clean it with acetone first incase it has oil in it ,do a test sample first and see what happens :?:

5. Madray

Madray Junior Member

power 2.2

Ok will try cheers ray

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.