Grand Banks 42 classic

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by franco, Oct 11, 2020.

1. franco

franco New Member

is this boat a trawler?

2. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

Yes, grand banks 42 is a trawler style cruiser. One of my uncles has one with twin john deere engines. Lovely boat and very economical.

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Here is some more info about the Grand Banks 42 Classic.
    Grand Banks 42: Used Boat Review - boats.com https://www.boats.com/reviews/used-boat-review-grand-banks-42/

I remember seeing adverts for them in the 70's, and they usually had a pair of 120 hp Ford Lehman diesels then.
    As the above article notes, they were later supplied with much bigger engines.

One tends to think of a traditional 'trawler' as being strictly a displacement vessel, but nowadays it seems to apply to a wide range of boats that 'look' like trawlers (re the wheelhouse / deckhouse arrangement), yet they have large engines, and might be capable of cruising at 20 knots.

4. franco

franco New Member

Great! Thank you.

So as a trawler is it a semi-displacement or full displacement? I think (from the little I know) it's a semi-displacement but not sure.
    Now, if it is a semi-displacement, my understanding is that running at small speed, the boat behaves as a full disp and is reliable and safe while at speed increase it will reach the point of lifting and reduce drag.
    Is this correct?

Franco

5. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

my uncles grand banks is a 70's model semi displacement. cruises at 9 kts

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.