Salary range . . .

Discussion in 'Education' started by ABoatGuy, Aug 12, 2005.

1. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

Any thoughts on the salary ranges available for:

New graduate:

- Westlawn/YDS
    - NA undergrad degree
    - BS engineering degree

Same groups after 5 years.

Design office vs. manufacturing (boat builder)

Brunswick/Genmar type manufacturing vs. Other independent builders. (ie. do the mega builders pay better?)

Mega yachts vs. mid-size production vs. small boat production

Not trying to bash anyone, just curious where the different segments of the industry stack up. This could get to be a big matrix, but if you have any first hand info, it would be interesting.

Thanks.

2. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Its a bit like asking how long is a peice of string, but anyway.
    I second that question.
    I think I remember reading some thread along these lines.

ABoatGuy, sorry i'm not actually answering your question. But I am interested in your question.

The way I see it: Being a yacht designer is a bit like being a professional artist. That is, there is a lot of talent out there but the market will only support success in a handfull of cases. This is where qualifications come in.
    Ignore, for a moment, the actual knowledge gained from the various qualifications.

1. One might spend 5 years developing a yacht design career with yacht design specific qualifications. You may or may not find success - people love your boats and can't get enough of them, or you can fall back on a design draughtsman level position, loosely restricted to yacht dsign. It is possible to take this route with no qualificatrions at all.

2. One might spend 5 years developing a professional career in marine engineering (most of the 5 years would be at school). You may still find success in yacht design, or you can fall back on a professional level position. The added bonus is that now you also have commercial work in your realm of possibilities -indeed, almost the entire feild of engineering is open to you.

The downside is the that engineering study is harder, takes longer, and is more expensive than yacht design, and if you don't finish then you effectively get nothing.
    ie the career choices available to something less than an engineering degree, are probably not reliant on having a certain recognised qualification.

I suggest that generally Joe Bloggs NA or PE gets paid more than Joe Bloggs Yacht designer, or certainly it would be easier for him/her to get paid more.

Also I imagine that bigger yards/companies pay more than smaller ones, especially if the bigger ones take on commercial work.

I think thats enough rambling for now...

Rob

3. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Go for the gusto! If you're even thinking about it it means you should GET YOUR ENGINEERING DEGREE!!! It's expensive, but hey! You'll never be unemployed (unless you have a breakdown or something), you'll be a professional demanding professional wages, and even if you don't like the engineering work, you'll still be prime management material!!! I exceeded my stress threshold during my course work, went completely crazy, and I still managed to get enough education to become a certified Technologist. Best thing to to to keep from blowing a fuse (like me) is to learn good stress management techniques, join an ameture or college team of some kind, and get laid often. GIVE it all you got!!!

4. JEM

JEM Senior Member

I don't have any good info on salary, but here's my $.02.

An engineering degree, like mechanical, will make you more marketable if things in the boat industry don't work out. Now if you want to truly specialize and know in your heart that boats is the only thing in life you want to do, then get your education tailored specifically for boat design/building. It's more risky in that you'll be limiting yourself to one industry but you'll be more marketable within that industry.

I've never taken any Westlawn courses but would like to one day. They would be a great adder to any resume.

The pieces of paper you've earned mean a lot when you're early in your career. Their contribution to your paycheck remains the same but your experience, work ethic, and developed talent are what will make you more valuable.

Manufacturing in just about any industry is volatile. If you choose that route, choose your company wisely and be prepared to make changes.

Getting time in the manufacturing function will only make you a better designer. You'll get a better feel for how theory and application meet. Plus you may prefer one over the other. My boss (at my day job) is an awesome design engineer and could have his pick of many jobs. But he enjoys the hustle and bustle of manufacturing and does very well at it.

Same thoughts apply to mega yachts vs. mid-size production vs. small boat production. You have to decide what environment you prefer. You can see the reults of your work faster with smaller boats. But the mega yatchs yield the big paydays.

Unfortunately, you'll have to be very insightful about yourself or go out and try working in different settings to figure out which you like best. That's the career that will be most rewarding.

5. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Send a resume to a job finding company . THEY do know the rates.

6. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.