GPS/Sounder

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by rfleet1066, Oct 2, 2015.

1. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

I am in the process of final fitting a large riverboat and trying to select a GPS/Sounder

I want something with a database, depth reading and side scan of underwater terrain. I have been happy with Garmin in my aircraft.

Any suggestions?

Ryland

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

garmin ,lowrance,ray marine are all good and have some really good models in the lower price range.

3. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

Garmin

I have learned one important lesson..............one does not build a boat to save money.

I will only have one of these so cost is about third down on the list. The vessel will be operated I protected waters, sometimes very shallow and with obstructions. I need a good coastal and inland database and a way to know whats ahead and below.

Ryland

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

To the side and below is easy, ahead is a little trickier. There are forward shooting systems, but they require transducers near the bow, or at least where they can shoot forward, this leaves them exposed to damage or in the way.

I'm sure they will come out with something soon that will do it more easily though.

Many come with good charts, if they don't you can buy one that is better for your location.