Triple diagonal mahogany hull?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Marinaio, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Marinaio

Marinaio New Member

First hello all!!

I am complete beginner in boat building. I am looking for explanation what does it means "triple diagonal mahogany hull" and what are advantages/disadvantages of such hull.

Thanks in advance,

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

This is meant:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see only the outer one of three veneer layers layed diagonal on the hull. This forms a so called "cold moulded" plywood glued and stapled in the shape of the hull. It gives a outstanding strong and durable hull and does not require a mould, like GRP.
    When perfect executed it is one of the best boatbuilding methods at present.

Regards
    Richard

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The advantages are that you can build any shape you want without having to bend thick, stiff pieces of wood. The disadvantage is that you end up fitting more pieces. However, the fit doesn´t have to be as precise as with traditional planking.

4. Marinaio

Marinaio New Member

apex1 and gonzo thanks for such a fast answer!!!
    I am looking for these information because i am considering to buy a boat that was built like this. It was built in Germany in Burmester shipyard in 1966, and I would like to know is it hard to make repairs on such hull and what are the possible places i should look for signs of problems?

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Get a man qualified to give you a survey on a wood hull that is cold moulded.
    Especially if you are paying good money to buy it. Repair of these type of hulls is much harder then a straight plywood hull. Though being mahogony,you are ahead of other woods as it rots far less than other woods but you still need a survey unless it is free.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

A Burmester built cold moulded boat will outlast your grandchildren when the minimum maintenance jobs were done.

Burmester died from his quality, no client ever had to replace a boat.

The 1940.. something, built KFK (outpost trawlers) by Burmester, are ALL in service in different duties. (except the scuttled ones of course)

No, repairs on a cold moulded hull are not as easy to do as say, on a classical woody. And they cannot be done by a homebuilder without very, very much experience in wooden composites. But every (true) expert makes a repair to "as new" condition. Much easier btw. to get a wooden composite back in bristol shape (technically) than every fiber reinforced plastic hull.

Regards
    Richard

for what it is worth: I build to Burmester standards today, and it is sometimes hard to beat, even with todays technology.

7. Burmester ONE

Burmester ONE New Member

Thanks for The info

I've read The replies with great interest. Since april this year my father (a seasoned northsea sailer) and myself are the proud owner of a 45ft burmester One. A big question for us was the hull composition. Thanks to this post that is made clear. Kind regards, martijn

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.