1. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

well thanks Daiquiri, i would have left them open but this is a gozzo, trying to compete with the others,
    the hull can be also a fishing boat with fwd cabin, or a vela latina, for which reason in particular it has an out board rudder, as well as you know , for ease of construction,
    the hull will also work at 9 or 12 meters upwards, on account of its high freeboard

2 people like this.
  2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well,

we could corrupt that down to be everybodies darling, I am sure.

But than it would be nobodies darling anymore.

Leave it as it is, a Gozzo. Not a Benet.Bavar.Jeanne. blend *******.

Glad to see your stubborn way of swimming upstream, keep it! In less than a decade, they will hunt you down for exactly that reason, and pay you what you ask for, or twice that...

Regards
    Richard

3. peter radclyffe

yeah, i should be in a museum, i think most everything i do is pre-war:) :) :)

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Nah, you are not for the museum. :)
    Your experience and craftsmanship is becoming a rare and valuable thing today, imho.

As about exposed frames, I didn't mean to say "open".
    I meant something like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

See there, under the sheer rail? :)

5. peter radclyffe

yes thanks, i understood

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Well you like the bulwark supported with stanchions and rail on top.
    You are a real sailor, it is the most beautiful detail on a boat.
    And I am sure our friend Peter knows better than any body else how to built it properly. He comes from the country which elevate the bulwark to an art.
    Peter I love your boat, and the way you built it.
    In Spain I was building the Gozzo equivalent, the Llaud, vela latina, oars or interior shutgun diesel, very cambered deck, small opening on the middle, cover with hatches, high bulwark fisherman fashion without rail. From 4m to 15m.
    Yes nice bandsaw. I am quite jalous. But I will get over!
    I will not be bother about the commercial aspect, a boat built by a talented shipbuilder always find buyer.
    Daniel

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

[​IMG]

I like this picture. I see a hint of return garboard on the third plank. Must be quite bitchy to put it. The twisting can be realy tough as you go down.
    Do you saw the bevel or saw square and then take care of the bevels?
    Daniel

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It is a fine example of master craftsmanship.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Do you think it is already fixed? To me it seems just applied "loose". Just one dowel on the second frame, no obvious dowel on the next...

If not, that IS a ***** to apply.

But, hey, what do we bother, this one knows his bloody job.

Richard

10. peter radclyffe

thanks Daniel , for bigger hulls i would saw the bevel on the bench, but these are sawn once the frame is up, its the first time i've used a lot of pino marittima, as you know it bends so well, without steam , in england i'd use larch or iroko which i'd have to steam, as a boatbuilder, when i design, i pay a lot of attention to the run of the planks for the first 20-40 centimeters off the stems, as i know when steaming these are the hardest to hold & fasten without breaking, this does not concern some designers, as they have not planked a boat

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

So it is fixed?

12. peter radclyffe

yes, every other green plank is fastened to dry out before the others are fastened, this makes the seams tighter

13. daiquiri

Hi Peter, just one question - do you know the actual weight of your boat, at this point of construction?

14. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I am not Peter, and I just put my two cents, sorry about that.

In classic construction I use for the weight estimate, the density number for each wood at 12% dry, then for all the wood structure but not the deck and the accompaning structures, I add 15% of the weight for soaking. After a period of two to five years, it was found resonable. Some gain more quikly than other.
    Then when I built, I verify randomly by weighting some pieces and comparing with my estimate. That for the wood of course.

Again I apologize for barging in.
    Daniel

15. daiquiri

No need to apologize, Daniel. I am in learning mode here, and you surely have many things to teach. ;)

Do you add something for fasteners, resin, varnish etc. or is it included in the 15% margin?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.