Gougeon Brothers Boatbuilding Book

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bjl_sailor, Jan 21, 2005.

1. bjl_sailor

bjl_sailor Junior Member

I have had multiple recommendations to purchase the Gougeon Brothers Book on Cold Molded Constrution. Apparently this is something of a classic as I went to Amazon.com and could find only used copies of this book for over $60.00!!! What is up with that?! SHould I spend the money or make do?

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Buy it!!!!!!!! In Holland it's $100, and it's a classic.

3. Mohan Pakkurti

Mohan Pakkurti Junior Member

Gougeon

Sure, it is a good book. But, why don't you try a good library near you and then decide for yourself. It is a good book, and you will save a lot of time and experimentation by reading the book. Worth $60? Not when I can buy a copy in Stockholm for 33USD :)

4. dwak

dwak Junior Member

Hi,
    In my well used copy of the above mentioned Gougeon text, there is an article in the addenda section discussing 'panel strength tests' which I found very interesting but have heard little about since. Has anyone heard of further testing in this vane? Mine is an old book so much must have been done since. Of course I'm looking for a 'bullet proof' wood composite system that is back yard simple and inexpensive for my gaff cutter.
    dwak du bois

5. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Go to this site and type the name below into the search window.
    http://www3.addall.com/

Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction

I have also seen copies go for $20 on ebay. If you are using epoxy to build a boat this book is worth the money.

They also have some great info on their web site, and if you get on the mailing list they will send you other info in a news letter a few times a year.

Gary :D

6. finavar

finavar Wallflower

Gougeon on eBay

I have bought a number of hard-to-get and out-of-print books on ebay.

Occasionally I ended up paying more than I would have if I kept looking, but more often I have got a pretty good deal, even after shipping and duties etc.

For example, I just bought Gougeon Bros for US$39 (incl shipping). Perhaps I could have got it cheaper, but that's a pretty good price and I have been keeping my eye out for one for a while.

There's another copy up for auction right now.

Jacqui

7. bjl_sailor

bjl_sailor Junior Member

Yes, I found a used copy on Amazon for $64 and (please don't out bid me!) Am bidding on a copy on ebay.. up to $42.00 now. Regardless I'll get a copy I have heard no one say it is a book you can do without. BTW are we such a cult that no one will bother reprinting a 21 year old book? I mean if copies are commanding $60 prices for used copies wouldn't it make sence to print up another 5000 copies at ~ $45.00 each. Don't really understand how hard copy publishing works...

8. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

9. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Dwak
    The Gougeon Bros have done loads of testing of panel strengths (developed the methods for testing in fact) and are very willing to share info. Give them a call if you have specific questions I have found them very helpfull in the past.

10. bjl_sailor

bjl_sailor Junior Member

I just contacted Jamestown Distributors and they indicated the book is still out of print, but that there may a re-printing comming. That's good, because I was bumming a paid more for a used book than a new one :)

11. dwak

dwak Junior Member

Thanks DGreenwood,

The specific aspect of the panel testing was the layer placement of the kevlar (or equivalent) , ie outside vs one of the inner layers etc. I've dug around the various sites and emailed but had no success nor response. The purpose of the test was (I believe) to maximise impact resistance to sharp objects. Those things we all hate to run into at sea.

dwak

12. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

I think it has been concluded that having the Kevlar on the inside is the most effective, although I can't tell you where I came across this info. Schooner Creek boatworks has done a bunch of testing along those lines (if I am remembering right?). There are some old articles in Pro Boat Builder you might want to look up and somewhere I have some info on a seminar I took at IBEX from Steve Radner. If I find it I'll check it out.

13. chandler

chandler Senior Member

I believe it is still out of print. West system's web site doesn't actually sell anything, they will direct you to a dealer in your area. I think the best price you can get for a copy at this time would be Mcnaughton. Every time I tried on ebay the book was bid up into the $60 + range

14. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

I bought a copy at the marine chart/book store in Nanaimo, BC last summer. This is a fantastic store, worth a side trip for if you're cruising, or driving on the island. Unfortunately I can never remember the exact name of this store, and I can never find it on the web. (However I just found this: Nanaimo Maps & Charts, Nanaimo, BC 800-665-2513.) It's right downtown near the harbor. I paid a little over $40 (CAN) for my copy. They had a couple of others on the shelf last August, so you might give them a call. You never know...

15. bjl_sailor

bjl_sailor Junior Member

I ended up getting a like new copy of the The Gougeon brothers book on ebay for $45.00. There were two copies on Amazon that were $60.00 each so i guess I did ok. I ahven't been all the way through it yet, but it looks like it is a very worthwile book to have.

cheers
    bjl

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.