Gougeon 32 catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rapscallion, Jul 11, 2011.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Really weird. But I get it. I'm so tired of being all stressed out over rising slip costs and the potential lack of slip availability, along with being at the mercy of the crane operator's schedule every spring and fall. I need people to help me raise and lower the mast every year. I have been lucky, because there have been people nice enough to help. But a boat that can be trailer launched and ready to sail in minutes???!! A fast boat that is easy to own!!! For that kind of awesome I can embrace the weirdness with a kind of fondness reserved for a new grandparent that gets to hold their grandson for the first time, and gets to hand the grandson back to the parents because grandbabys diaper needs to be changed... and grandpa isn't about to deprive the parents of the honor. I get it.. and it is a thing of beauty!!

2. Plodunkgeo

Plodunkgeo Previous Member

Mr. rapscallion,

It would seem that your search is defined by the performance envelope more than the utilitarian as a day sailing boat for pure pleasure. That choice would put you into the fringe of the genre if you are not able to spend large sums of money on a given project.

With the G32 well out of production, are you not skating on the thin ice of a new day, rather than basing your efforts while looking to a functional solution that is more affordable? I believe you have mentioned the L7 previously and I wonder why that boat does not fit your needs from a performance, as well as price point?

3. rapscallion

The L7 is a great boat. I would be very happy with a boat like that if I had one. Given the L7 design and the G32 design, I do believe one fits my personal needs better than the other.

4. basil

basil Senior Member

5. rapscallion

That is essentially what a G32 is... but wow, the design weight seems heavy! The G32 is less than that fully loaded and on the trailer. But, yes, other than the weight, that is what I'm looking at.

The other option is a Kelsall approach using KSS panels and building a POD cat with AMAs that slide from a 8'6" to about 12'. Derek has yet to build one of his KISSKATS but the idea of building a racer intrigued him.

I think a POD cat similar to the KD800 would fit what I'm thinking rather nicely.
    http://www.ikarus342000.com/KD800page.htm

But, if you are going to the trouble of adding the complexity of a variable beam in the form of a folding/sliding system are you better off with a catamaran or a trimaran in this size range? Which one of the two would give you a better performance/ease of use/interior space combination? That's a tough question.. It's like asking how long is a piece of string.

Traditionally, trimarans have dominated this market segment, and with good reason. In the 22' to 30' size range I believe a trimaran COULD give you more useful space given an equal level of performance when compared to a catamaran... but then again doesn't the 8.5 meter box rule class seem to prefer catamarans?

At the end of the day it really comes down to this: I'm looking for a clever design that can be truly trailer sailed... meaning the boat can be launched from a trailer and sailing by 1 person in minutes... I would like the boat to be "fast" and have enough accommodation for 2 for a weekend of spartan camping.

"Fast" and "accommodation" are the two nebulous criteria here, A quick setup and launch is the part of the design that can't be compromised.

I think the G32 fits, the L7 probably fits (I have never seen someone set up and launch one, so I don't know exactly what is involved) the KD 800 approach fits, heck even the DC3 and seaclipper 24 have a shot as long as the rig is engineered to raise and lower quickly and easily. Although, I believe I would be happier with the performance of the L7 vs. the seaclipper. Nevertheless, from a cost benefit perspective, the DC3 and seaclipper 24 are notable designs.

And a 26' to 28' Jarcat with water ballast would most likely fit the criteria, but at that point a low budget L7 type trimaran may start to make more sense from a performance/dollar spent perspective, especially of the Waller weighs 800 to 1000 lbs more than the L7 would. But, if the waller was built to be light, by default it would be a strong contender. My criteria may seem murky but they really aren't. The selection criteria do not contain a discrete answer. It is more like a series of differential equations that can be solved in terms of one another to yield a solution set instead of a single answer.

Cost and grief of ownership must be minimized. The G32 wins there... by light years. The L7 is most likely another very strong contender along with a light waller/jarcat.

Fast! The L7 and G32 win there too.

Accommodation.. waller/jarcat are strong, the L7 and g32 pass as well in my opinion.

Sticker price. Based on what I know all of the designs are within budget, although I don't have a feel for how much building a kelsall would cost.

6. jamez

jamez Senior Member

7. BPGougeon

BPGougeon Junior Member

Hi Rapscallion, I know of an older gentleman (almost eighty) in southeastern Michigan who has a G32, and last I heard was entertaining the idea of selling it. If you're serious I'd be happy to track him down for you.

Ben Gougeon

8. rapscallion

BPGougeon! I sent you a PM with my contact info.

9. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Raps, Go for it, looks like an opportunity to me. Good luck.
    Steve.

10. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

11. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

The Reynolds 33 Catamaran R33 has a really slick reefing boom rig.

12. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Care to elaborate.
    Steve.

13. rapscallion

Alas, no G32 available at this time. What a great boat!

14. rapscallion

Well, I was lucky enough find a G-32 owner willing to part with the boat at a price I could afford! And if everything goes according to plan I hope to pick her up in the next week or two... I'm buying Janet C, Meade Gougeon's G32! Talk about buying a boat with Provenance! Meade mentioned there are a couple of things that have to be attended to before racing her seriously, and that he would coach me through the process.... How cool is that!!! I have always been a huge fan of the Gougeon brothers.... the Mad scientist sailors from the midwest who can build the fastest and most beautiful wood boats in the world...

just to put things into perspective... Adagio, the 35' trimaran Meade and jan built in 1969, has a PHRF rating of -66!! Not bad for an old wood boat! Wood is still very fast if built correctly..

15. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Hey Raps,

Congrats on acquiring such a classic beauty.

Enjoy, big time! Happy sailing!

Cheers,

Hielan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.