Any noticeable difference between Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Tohatsu 20-30hp engines?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by xellz, Feb 21, 2018.

1. xellz

xellz Senior Member

I want to search for good deals on used outboards during catamaran build time (Richard Woods design Jazz 30). It's more of temporal solution, as i want to eventually convert to shaft/electric (although in worst case might take some years).

Tohatsu outboards are noticeable cheaper than similar models from Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki. Richard's Skoota 28 got through many miles with Tohatsu engines without much trouble. Is there any reason to aim for anything but Tohatsu? Yamaha is probably most common, if i see outboard, it's usually Yamaha.

2. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Ten years ago I bought a Yamaha motorcycle. I take good care of my machines. I've had zero problems with the bike. Three years ago I bought a Yamaha T9.9 high thrust outboard. I've had no problems of any kind with it. We have a few Mercury outboards at the boat club I belong to. They always seem to have a problem. I'll always spend a little extra on the Yamaha's because, for me, they are 100% reliable. Xellz, you mentioned someone who got through many miles "without much trouble". That's OK but when I'm out on the water or on on a motorcycle I want NO trouble. You mentioned that if you see an outboard, it's "usually a Yamaha". There is a reason for that. If Yamaha made a automobile I'd be driving that.

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

‘‘ We have a few Mercury outboards at the boat club I belong to. They always seem to have a problem. ’’

Mercury outboards till 30 Hp are built by Tohatsu, below some pics for comparison...

Notice the same leg and the same clip to close the top cover, the covers themselves have each their own brand styling . . .

Online Outboards ---> Site Map ---> Tohatsu 9.8 Hp - & - Mercury 9.9 hp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

‘‘ If Yamaha made a automobile I'd be driving that. ’’ - - - Yamaha is fiddling with some concept cars.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All outboards have issues and flaws. Some get addressed, some don't. The early Honda's had serious fuel delivery issues, but these have been resolved in recent models, other engines have similar things to consider, so check out the factory "service bulletins" for information about what has cropped up and their efforts to address these issues. The best thing to do is make friends with a service technician and get the recommendation from the folks that actually have to sort out these details daily.

5. xellz

xellz Senior Member

I'll try to find someone who can service outboards and talk with them, after all this seems safest route. Good idea about company forums, i totally forgot about this option.

6. Magnus W

Magnus W Senior Member

I recently bought a Suzuki 15 hp and opted for it thanks to fuel injection and seven year warranty (in Sweden, dunno about your place). The DF15 has the same core as DF20. Very pleased with it and it starts easily (mine's a stick and manual start) even in -10 degrees C.

Whatever you get, stay away from carbs and get a low hp big engine rather than a high hp small engine (as in mine being a derated 20 rather than a stressed 9,9).

fallguy likes this.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Magnus, brings up a good point. All engines are part of a "family" of engines. A 10 HP might be the top end of a 5 HP or the bottom of a 20 HP family. Do the research and figure out what you're getting, as a de-tuned 15 HP that is a 10 HP will last longer, than a maxed out 5 HP, built o generate 10 HP. Additionally if you need more engine at a later point, you can convert your 10 HP to a 15 HP, usually with just some timing, etc, injectors, etc., but making a 10 HP into a 15 HP, that doesn't have the capasity is much more difficult (cams, timing, carb/injectors, pumps, bigger pistons, cylinder boring, etc.).