GOP Home Build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by schultzfactor, Oct 25, 2013.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

But most transoms will have knees and/or splash wells that reinforce the transom. Plus they're more robust to begin with.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You're probably right that what he has is too light to be trustworthy, but it may be consistent with the rest of the boat, which has many novel construction features ! :D

3. schultzfactor

schultzfactor Senior Member

Smile all you like.. Whilst most dream and talk their teeth out, I'm actually doing.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

rope or chain them to another part of the boat that can take the weight.

5. schultzfactor

Splash wells

I have splash wells in the outboard bracket openings. The shape of the pods also come over the gunnels and will be fibreglassed to these for torsion dispersion through the sides of the hull. Internally the pod is bolted through the existing transom which is 40mm thick from starboard right through to port stern, not just individual sponsons. Once it is fibreglassed, I am not worried about the actual pods themselves, I was just hoping for feedback on the thickness of the actual motor transoms. This hull is 3 and 5 mm marine ply with 3 layers of 600gsm bi axial cloth over it. You could hit it with a sledge hammer and it won't crack. It has Kevlar keel strips to prevent cracking of the keel over time beaching etc. I have removed a lot of the internal bracing ( scantlings I have since learned) and rebuilt these and fibreglassed each compartment with 400gsm chopped strand. After I have run the boat in the lake a few times, I will be fibreglassing a 8 mm marine ply deck onto it, followed by a 600gsm biax layer, a horizontal layer of 3mm ply and another layer of 600gsm . I will then inject foam into each compartment.

Considering the draft on first wetting the hull was 200mm, if I can keep the weight down, I anticipate my skinny keels will be able to plane as well as displace well at low speed, making for a comfortable ride. If I need to, I will install a hydrofoil, but time will tell. The boat did not squat with 300kgs on the transom and no bow counter weight at all. I have been looking at some of the keels of high speed light weight cats like the Blackdog Aluminium cats as well as the shapes of the Thundercats used to race in NZ. I think if I can keep the weight down, I'm going to be ok.

This is a great project and I am learning heaps, I have had to change a lot in the last two years it's being going, but that has all been part of my learning experience. This boat is going to surprise a few people and the first draft is a small indication she may actually be something cool.

6. Mr Efficiency

Yeah yeah, but it is clear from your measured draft of 200mm, this boat is quite light. And the construction methods are unorthodox to say the least. I would be installing some cheap chunky polystyrene blocks inside each hull before you take it anywhere, just in case.

7. schultzfactor

Console controls

Installed the controls on the Console.

Attached Files:

8. Mr Efficiency

9. ronieyuan

ronieyuan New Member

hopefully will see the progress

10. schultzfactor

Progress so far.

Had a caravan get in the way for a few months.
    Started working on it again.

Attached Files:

11. schultzfactor

Rendering

With some touch up

Attached Files:

12. schultzfactor

Powered launch

Put in the water today, goes great. May need some tinkering with the motor height and definitely needs five blade props. Pretty happy with result so far, she's making all the right noises.

Attached Files:

13. Mr Efficiency

Very exciting ! What was maximum RPM ?

14. schultzfactor

Not sure I have not connected rev counters yet.

15. schultzfactor

Bow

Under power

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.