Difference Marine starter and Car starter

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by simso, Nov 29, 2005.

1. simso

simso Junior Member

Hey guys,
    Seeking some info, I have a marinized 350 engine in my boat (old 24ft Cabin cruiser fibreglass wrapped wood) and I use it for salt water boating and its raw water cooled. The starter motor has just packed it in and its corroded badly, so Im assuming its just a normal car starter motor. How do you tell the difference between the two, also whilst on the subject whats the difference in the alternators as well apart from your screens
    Thanks Steve

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Both Starters and Alternators for Marine use are built to prevent internal sparks from reaching the bilge area where combustible fumes might be present.

Your boat could go BOOM using a starter and/or alternator ment for a car.

Since car engine compartments are OPEN at the bottom-no Problem

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Marine starters are shielded. Car starters can make your boat explode.

4. simso

simso Junior Member

Thanks guys,
    any idea how they shield the starter motors, ive seen the screens you attach to convert a alternator, but havent seen the difference in a starter motor

5. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

If you plan to insure the boat, the starter and alternator must be certified for marine use. You may not be able to get a DIY conversion to pass a survey.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

RHough is quite correct - marine electrics have to be certified up to marine standards. However you could try your local tractor/agricultural machine depot. Many modern tractors are fitted with 'spark inhibitors' on their starter motors for use among combustible materials ie grain dust; methane contaminated areas (stock and fowl sheds etc.) :rolleyes:

7. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

The late model G.M. automotive starters (permanent magnet gear reduction) are physically the same as their marine counterpart. Except the marine version has a longer battery stud. They also do not say marine on them. There is no safety issue with them.

However: the earlier 10mt (Direct drive high torque) automotive starter would be dangerous to use. It is completely open from the brush rack out to the drive end housing. Mix fuel vapors and one of these starters, it could be loud.

The 10mt starter can be modified by installing a center plate. This would seal the sparks inside of the starter. This should be performed by an electrical shop experienced with marine work.

8. simso

simso Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. In australia for private vessel use we dont have to comply to the safety explosive issues, but common sense saids do it anyway. Im pretty sure the starter that I have is just a plain car starter because its rusted and died just like the water pump which was a plain car unit, locally a standard starter is abount 160aust a marine starter is 900 aust, I think Ill go to a reconditioning centre and see what they can build up for me
    Once again appreciate all the advice
    thanks Steve

9. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

At one time, 50's-60's car starters had a strong, gasketed, steel band covering the brushes opening. NO WAY sparks OR a explosion could start.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.