Good first sailing boat design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MChavez, May 25, 2016.

1. MChavez

MChavez New Member

Hi all,

I am a very keen DIYer, looking for a new project and I thought that since I live next to a lake, I might as well build myself a boat and learn how to sail :D.

Ultimately I am looking for a small-to-medium sized seaworthy open day sailboat that can comfortably accommodate at least 2 adults and 2 kids.

However, I appreciate that it is always better to start with simple projects, so I would be very grateful if you pointed me towards a good boat plan that is:

1) Free or almost free.
    2) Cheap to build.
    3) Easy to build as a first boat project.
    4) Can accommodate 2 adults and a child.
    5) Stable & easy to handle.
    6) Ideally, comes with good, detailed explanations of the build process.

It does not have to be sea worthy as I intend to use it on lakes for a year or two before building something bigger and better (if I catch the boating bug).

I am going to build it in my shed, so the size is limited to 11ft, so I can get it out through the doors. I can probably just about manage to get a 12 footer out if there is a big benefit from that extra foot, but 8 or 10 ft would be more manageable. Ideally, I would like to be able to load it onto my car roof as opposed to pulling a trailer.

From what I've read, the plywood stitch&glue looks like the best solution for this project, perhaps followed by a ply-on-frame as a second boat.

Any help with finding the right plan and suggestions on what glue/epoxy to use and pointers towards good UK plywood and epoxy vendors are greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Chavez.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

11' can hold 2 adults and a child, but most won't consider it safe, and it won't sail well.

Good luck.

I'd suggest the Trika 540 if you can figure out how to build longer.

There are a lot more classic monohull boats available, but I haven't much experience with them.

Lots of guys do and will respond soon.
    Have you searched in the forum? There have been lots of similar threads here and on woodenboat.com

Be careful, most times you get what you pay for.
    Free plans may not be very good and may not be a good boat.

3. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

What to Build

Goat Island Skiff

4. charlief1

charlief1 Junior Member

Welcome to the board. Do a search for free boat plans on something and you should find more than enough info on how to build one. Svensons is one of many that can provide free plans. When you find what you're looking for report back on what you plan to do.;)

5. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum. You may have to rethink some of your objectives if you really need 2 adults and 2 children in something sub 12 feet. That weight load really requires something 15-16 feet long if it is to sail properly.

Oddly enough, a 'Miracle' might be OK, fine for two and probably three people but it is 12' long. Here's a link. At least this was designed for ply construction.

http://www.miracledinghy.org/Building from plans flyer.pdf

You will be close for roof racking in weight terms though but that is a bit car dependent.

There's a lot of absolute 'tubs' that could do the job, but be heavy and not be at all responsive and would ultimately put you off, so I won't point you at them!.

Take a look at Fyne boats too (ie googly) and Richard Woods designs as these are properly sorted designs that will work. I'm sure you can garner quite a bt of good information on what will be needed to build etc too from those guys. Ply (at least good light weight stuff) is not easily found in the UK, - Robbins is almost the only source of light, good ply, so a trip to Bristol may be in order...;) Any of the decent marine epoxy systems will work Gurit (320), West, etc etc just get a 4-5Kg pack and 'slow' hardener. A couple of fillers like glass/fibres and micro balloons and you'll have all you need.

If you want to get something really a bit 'racy' you could be adventurous and try something like this...

http://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/kits/sailing/national-12/

but it is really for at least moderately experienced sailors, and you would probably find it a bit too tippy. Be good fun though...;) if you don't mind getting a bit wet learning though, it could be rewarding! This is also more of a build challenge and will take more time than some. Also really a two person boat. A 'Final Chapter' design is also possible in ply, for this class.

Depends where you wish to go after your initial learning, so you need to allow for that so you don't get something that will disappoint if you master it quickly.

Perhaps you could drop down to a local Sailing Club and get a trip out in a few boats to get a feel for what this size and length offers? We've just had the RYA Push the Boat Out week wher lots of people could get free taster sails. If one Club does not have the type of boat your after try another, most are pretty helpful. Good luck.

6. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Thanks for mentioning my name, unfortunately I don't have any suitable designs.

Can I suggest the Mirror dinghy. It certainly holds 2 adults and 2 children. It is the smaller, earlier version of the Miracle. But you cannot build one from scratch as plans are not available. In part because they are so cheap used on ebay and elsewhere

If you learn to sail first you will have a better idea of what you need. But if you do want to build try Selway Fisher

the GIS is 16ft so way too big

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

7. Munter

Munter Amateur

Boat building often takes longer than originally anticipated. Make a conscious decision about whether it is more important that you build a boat or sail a boat and let that decision inform your future actions. If sailing a boat is more important then simply buy a used one - perhaps one which needs a little bit of work, and learn to sail with an existing vessel that will probably cost you less than building one from scratch yourself. If building a boat is the important part then be ready to invest much time and effort into a boat that will probably be worth less than it cost you at the completion of construction but which may be rewarding to you in ways other than financial.
    This isn't mean't to sound dissuasive, it is just encouragement to make a rational decision around your choices to maximise your future happiness!

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The free or almost free won't usually have good detailed construction details. You get what you pay for. On the other hand, there are some popular classes designed for amateur construction that have a lot of free information and associations/clubs that offer help. For example, Vaurient, Snipe and Penguin classes.

9. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I would agree with Richard - find a Mirror dinghy (there will be lots available for sale, all ages, all prices) and learn how to sail with it.
    Although it might still be worthwhile to do an introduction course at a sailing school first.
    If you then find that you (and more importantly your family!) enjoy sailing, then you could consider building a boat.
    And by then your requirements might have changed considerably, after gaining some sailing experience.

Here is just one (of many) Mirrors for sale on their home page:

http://www.ukmirrorsailing.com/inde...9:mirror-dinghies-for-sale-p0-p499&Itemid=204

10. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

I would have suggested the Mirror, which is a good boat for it's length. However the OP wanted 4 in it sailing and in my experience 3 is OK in a Mirror, but 4 a crowd under sail. Rowing or an outboard fine. Hence just stepping up slightly to something that might be a little easier for four. At least Mirror and Miracle kits are available and the measurement form(s) will give some idea.

As it happens I've just turned a couple of replacement wood ends for one of the alloy masts on a Mirror!

BTW Gonzo (and your post is appreciated) the Vaurien is more French than UK, and the Snipe and Penguin are rare migrants to the British Isles...;)

11. MChavez

MChavez New Member

Hi All,

Thank you for all the advice.

I'll investigate the paid plans - a few extra £ is not a big expense in the grand scheme of things and if their quality is significantly better, then it looks like it's money well spent.

I'm going to take a couple sailing classes at the local club, but the main idea really is to get myself a project to keep me occupied over the winter months, so long build time sounds just right. That's where the 11-12ft limit comes into play - I can build up to 18' inside my workshop, but only 11-12 will come out through the doors, without having to take the roof off. Of course, having spent all that time building, it would be great to have a decent boat to play with when I'm done.

12. Richard Woods

When I was 14 we day-cruised both the Brittany coast and Swedish islands in our Mirror with two adults, three children, oh! and a dog

I have never seen a Vaurien or Penguin in the UK, and very few Snipes. The latter are very popular in Spain and Portugal, the Vaurien in France/Belgium

RW

13. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

If that doorway is THE limitation you might think about skin on frame construction -maybe multihull. It's sweet work with full grain wood (not ply and epoxy) that is nicely on display in the finished boat. Work through the winter fitting the bones -size unlimited then pop outside in spring to skin and sail.

14. Richard Woods

15. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Most standard UK doors (600mm+) will allow pretty 'long' boats to pass through, sometimes the height is a problem if a wide boat. It is the hull depth which is the main restriction and you might be surprised how shallow most hulls are, unless you have a very very high foredeck. I've certainly put a few through doors before now up to and over 15 foot in length..;)

You can always take the door hinges off too if it is really tight. One odd one I did was in Islington in an upstairs unit when a friend and I carried a new hull down the main stairs, the security guards face was a picture...;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.