Cuddy to Open bow

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by produceguy, Sep 11, 2011.

1. produceguy

produceguy New Member

The wife just told me that after 3 years of owning our cuddy she would like an open bow.
    I love our old boat and don't want to get rid of it so I thought off converting it to an open bow.
    Any good suggestions on the stringer or bulk head designs that might give this cuddy a chance to become an open bow.
    I'm good at glassing and modifing so I feel like it's doable, if I can figure out the structure and not cause the hull to collaspe in or out on itself.

Know of anyone that has done this?

Thanks guys

2. ACuttle

ACuttle Marine Design Engineer

I've seen it done but often without any thought for stiffness or strength.

Your options would depend a lot on whether the cuddy is structural or not and how much force is passing through it. Your best bet would be to ask the question of the original designer.

Do you have any details & images of the boat?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Produceguy, it would be helpful if you provided enough data for some reasonable responses, such as year, make and model of the boat, also some photos would be beneficial.

Yes, it can be done and it's very likely the hull you have also had a bow rider option (different deck cap mold). When preforming this conversion yourself, it's often difficult to make the transition from molded factory finishes to home built bow seating area.

4. produceguy

produceguy New Member

Thanks guys. It's a 88 mach 1 challenger and they did make an open bow that year as well as the cuddy. I'll see if I can get some pics up.

I wasn't thinking the mold route, more of making a frame with some good ext ply and alot of glassing along with with some new support to the hull.

Attached Files:

5. produceguy

produceguy New Member

Trying to get this pic thing figured out so please bare with me.

Attached Files:

6. produceguy

produceguy New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.