good bonding UV protection

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Anatol, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Anatol

Anatol Senior Member

My boat project is long term, and though undercover, sees a lot of sunlight. I want to protect the glassed and encapsulated areas from UV degradation with something that will provide a maximum bond as I will paint later, and may add further glass/epoxy laminate, which I'd prefer to do without sanding the UIV layer off.
    thx

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Other than paint or varnish/polyurethane, there's only the option of covering the project, to protect it from UV that will help. Primers can help in the short term, but have little to no UV inhibitors in them so break down pretty quickly. Rigging tarps in key locations to keep the sun off it might help. Most of the poly tarps still let through a good bit of UV, so consider paint the tarp.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

So-called "silver"( aluminium impregnated ? ) poly tarps are more impervious to UV and radiant heat, not that expensive.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

You can buy peel off automotive paint, google it.

There is also protective peel off coatings use in spray booths and similar applications.

5. PAR

I use the silver tarps exclusively and they don't stop all the UV, but are much better than the others. I have a 20'x30' propped up in the yard right now for a project I'm finishing up. If the tarp is fixed, such as over pipes or a set of fixed rafters, a quick prime and paint (house paint) can double their lifespan.

6. Anatol

Anatol Senior Member

thanks guys
    I like the paint the tarp idea. But I try to avoid using polytarps now. I can't accept their constant degradation filling the ocean with plastic microparticles . I may have to go canvas.

7. PAR

Canvas is really heavy compairtivly and not especially water tight. The rubberized ones are pretty good, but even heavier. Instead of worrying about microparticles in the oceans, grind up the worn out tarp and use is as filler in your epoxy.

8. Anatol

Anatol Senior Member

Canvas is really heavy compairtivly and not especially water tight.
    The boat is undercover (carport style) I'm in socal - rain is a rarity.
    > grind up the worn out tarp and use is as filler in your epoxy
    seems like a good idea but would demand sophisticated process/machinery...one would have to chop poly threads, in both directions - I can't think of an easy way to do that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.