Fedor Konyukhov - rowed Chile to Australia

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by rwatson, May 31, 2014.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...coast-for-fedors-arrival-rowing-into/2268632/

" Konyukhov, 63, left the Chilean port of Concon on December 22 after being forced to turn back from an earlier start on December 14 to repair faulty equipment.

He has a vast portfolio of successful expeditions, including sailing around the world from Sydney to Sydney in 1990 and three other circumnavigations of the globe.

Konyukhov has also climbed Mt Everest twice, walked to the North and South poles, held for 10 years the record for a solo unassisted row across the Atlantic taking 47 days and has climbed all 14 peaks of the Himalayas and the summits of the highest mountains in each of world's seven continents, including Antarctica. "

This guy is a serious adventurer !

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

To what avail, though ? I can't see the point of it all. Remarkable for his age though.

3. Mr Efficiency

After watching that on TV news, and what appeared to be a very short and snappy rolling motion, he can have it !

4. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Because it's there.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I agree. But when you see someone so determined to suffer so much, you have to admire the effort.

6. Mr Efficiency

He is allegedly a priest, ministry obviously taking a back seat to his escapades, the next one is an attempt to hot-air balloon around the world.

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

People always ask why do these guys do these "adventure" things

simple

they make damn good money from it !!!!!!
    the sponsorship market is waaaaay bigger than the man in the street realises or knows about or understands !!

Just look at the boat he is rowing - that is bucks - big bucks
    go and try to put a project like that together and pay for it yourself and see ??

A colleague of mine is personal friends with an "adventurer" that swam the length of England
    https://www.facebook.com/MrSeanConway?ref=profile
    now he bought an old boat that he is fixing up
    of course when I heard about it my first reaction was that it is the most stupid and expensive lousy idea that I have ever heard about

until I found out what he will make from National Geographic
    now I know

The "adventure" market is much bigger than what I ever thought it is.

Bloomin would love to do that stuff myself ??

8. Mr Efficiency

Rowing across the Pacific or wherever is old hat, been done before, and in the end does not achieve anything but set you up for arthritis in the shoulders ! This bloke is notable for not being an Englishman, who seem to be the main nationality for lone, long distance rowers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.