Golden Globe race - the finish

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Dolfiman, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

2. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Glad to hear he managed that last storm. This race was full of absolutely crazy conditions for all the racers. The account below from Slats is incredible. I sure hope we get to see some books or a film about the race at some point.

"For Slats, the most frightening moments came in the Indian Ocean when caught in the same 60-70knot storm that put paid to Ireland’s Gregor McGuckin and Indian Abhilash Tomy’s challenges. “We agreed to keep in radio contact every 3 hours.” Recalled Slats. “We spoke to each other on the first two scheds. but there was no one there for the third. I learned later from Race HQ that they had both capsized and lost their rigs.”

The full force of that storm hit Ohpen Maverick soon after and she suffered two major knockdowns. During the first, Slats was thrown overboard and saved only by his lifeline, which catapulted him back on to the cockpit floor. “It was a massive knockdown through 120°, then I suffered another which filled the boat right up to the level of the nav station. “That’s when I began to pray – and they were obviously answered because after pumping by hand for an hour, and with two electric pumps working, I managed to get the boat dry.”

Doug Lord likes this.

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Just saw Suzie and Jules made two vids about their hookah system . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.