Telstar 26 mk2

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Karl01, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Karl01

Karl01 Junior Member

Firstly let me say how impressed with the combined knowledge of this websites contributors . I have owned a telstar 26 for around about 18months although I didn't get on the water as much as I would have liked last year. I have managed to regularly get speeds of 9knots but max of 12knots I would like more performance I have read that lengthening the main hull and raising the height of the amas will help. Any advice would be gratefully received many thanks

2. Panta Rei

Panta Rei New Member

There are a lot of things you could do to get a knot or two, but the real problem with that boat is the weight. I had a mkI for several years, a great boat, really liked it in the 9-12 kn range. Max registered speed I ever had was around 14 knots. Most important thing I did to it was adding a square top main.

I built a carbon fiber Farrier F-22R instead. That's a really great boat, top speed so far 22,5 knots.

Tor

3. Karl01

Karl01 Junior Member

Telstar

Bearing in mind the telstar is a well designed but older design in modern terms in line with modern ideas I've researched I've come up with the following results if I were to lift the amas by 150 mm so they just touch the water at rest and increase the main hull length by adding a form of sugar scoop there are gains to be made. Yes the main hull will sit 50 mm deeper in the water but overall the surface area is reduced. If the sugar scoop follows the lines of the underside of the hull until it is clear of the water it reduces turbulence therefore resistance. Have I understood my research correctly ? Being a carpenter I would love to build a fast tri if I could find the right design ( ply stitch and glue ) but the telstar with its sea keeping qualities and standing headroom in a fairly spacious accommodation for cruising will have to surfice until I can find such plans. At the moment it's a case of makeing the most of what I have.

4. Panta Rei

Panta Rei New Member

I'm not an engineer. What you suggest is probably all true, but will only apply in light air. Above 8-9 knots the boat is in planning mode, no stern turbulence. Once the wind is up, the windward float will be clear of the water and higher set floats will only lead to more heel and less projected sail area.

I just replied because I've been down the route you suggest, after years of investigations and testing I realized it was easier to build another boat using modern methods. The Telstar is still a great boat, but it is a 1968 design, built by the standards of that time.

If I were there again, I would optimize sails and foils, and put all other efforts in savings for a light sandwich boat. Weight is what really makes a difference.

Best regards,
    Tor

5. Karl01

Karl01 Junior Member

Telstar

I have a friend who has a Kurt Hughes 8m he's suggesting that I go down that route can you suggest any designs ( ply ) that will give a good turn of speed good sea keeping and plans that don't cost the earth preferably folding or demountable and relatively cheap to build ? Tough one ?

6. Panta Rei

Panta Rei New Member

Too tough. Never investigated ply plans. Come to think about the Tritium 720 though. Will check

7. Panta Rei

Panta Rei New Member

No. Sandwich.

8. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

9. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Easy one, look up designs from Ray Kendricks in Australia, you should find something that checks all your boxes, good looking too.

Steve.

10. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Damn it, i guess type too slow. A good sign though.

Steve.

11. Karl01

Karl01 Junior Member

Telstar

Done the sums on a new build good option but not yet so I'm still looking to improve what I have. I'm starting with the basics, take off everything that's not required increase sail area significantly. Remove the rudder box which is stainless steel and quite heavy. So looking for a design for a light but strong rudder assembly. I was thinking of maybe a kick up type. Would like any other ideas on improving performance. Thanks karl

12. caiman

caiman Junior Member

Hi Karl
    Have a look further down the main page at Charly's thread on rudder angles.Pogo has posted a couple of pics of a transom mounted set up that may give you some ideas on rudders.
    Cheers

13. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Karl, what is your boat?

14. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Oops, I should have started at the top. Ive actually sailed a Telstar from the Florida panhandle to Key West, get as much weight out as you can and keep it out.

Steve.

15. Karl01

Karl01 Junior Member

I'm in the process of sorting non essentials now. Other mods include increasing the sail area significantly newer main full length batons and a 150% genoa. I've considered raising the armas and lengthening the main hull by means of a sugar scoop to reduce drag. Better fo light airs but would these benefits in light airs be a negative in winds say 4 to 6. Any thoughts

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.