Freeware VPP for boat design

Discussion in 'Software' started by Roger F, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Roger F

Roger F New Member

Hi,

Before finding this interesting forum I've been looking, without much success, for free Velocity Prediction Program (VPP) software. Is there any good piece of freely available software or collaborative project out there?

Given my fruitless search for free VPP software I started to write my own VPP toolbox in Matlab. At the moment I can trim the boat in different conditions with extremely idealised hydro/aero models. In order to add some realism I would like to incorporate some tank, windtunnel or CFD data.

I have read that the Delft Systematic Yacht Hull Series are in the public domain and form the basis of a number of VPPs. Does anyone know where could I find the data?

On the same topic, is there any other database in the public domain containing hull or sail data (lifts, drags, etc.)?

Many thanks,

Roger

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Have a look at this document from HISWA 1992 should give you a good indication.

cheers

Attached Files:

3. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Newer version dated 1998....

4. Humberto

Humberto Junior Member

Another one (quite complete) from the same authors (HISWA 1998)

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.