Godzilla and hard chines

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kudzu, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Well not quite kayak but I do cover a lot of water under human power. I have a very good idea of what is sustainable by various humans. See attached.

Rick W

Attached Files:

2. Kudzu

Kudzu Junior Member

Interesting. I can't get the spread sheet to download though.

Still, the difference is those racing and those out just to be paddling. The people I am aiming this design at are in the 3.5-4 mph speed 90% of the time. These are people that take their boats out once or twice a month. Not athletes nor any desire to paddle fast for any length of time.

So that is why I used that speed. Maybe that is a mistake in Michlet? My thinking was optimize it at the speed it would be used at most of the time.

I ran one more model that looked pretty promising. I love the shape, similar to what I started with.

fsoff1_Linesplan.jpg

I ran it through FreeShips Kaper numbers and put it a spreed sheet with my existing design. I was surprised at the results. No difference in what I started with. The lines are almost on top of each other.

I put in the one where I let Michlet just run and it's a dramatic improvement, but I am not sure my target group would be comfortable in boat with that low stability. But it has peaked my interests.

I have one in the shop almost done with a little higher stability. Once I paddle it I will have a better feel for exactly what the numbers mean when your sitting in the boat.

resistance.jpg

stability.jpg

Even if I have not improved my design I have sure learned a lot about Michlet and will continue to work with it and learn to use it better.

3. Guest625101138

The bottom of your drag curve shows 3mph = 3.45kts.

3mph is 2.6kts. Not very fast and somewhat slower than 3.45kts.

Most untrained paddlers I see have little difficulty holding 8kph or 5mph for an hour or two unless they are on a 2m long sit-on. Then 6kph is about their limit.

The shape your are seeing is typical of the shape for a hull that is operating below the hull speed. As you approach hull speed or exceed it the ends tend to get fuller.

Rick W

4. Kudzu

Kudzu Junior Member

I had to look that conversion up, must have multiplied when I should have divided. I created this chart for someone else and then recycled it. Thanks for pointing that out, I would have never noticed.

You must grow them stronger and leaner down under! ;) I know a few paddlers that paddle at those speeds. Most are competitive people and do some racing. But the group I am aiming at couldn't or maybe wouldn't paddle at 5 mph for an hours time.

5. Guest625101138

There are a few in the Over 50s group that I know can sustain 7kts on a surf ski. The younger guys are up around 8kts in an endurance event in calm conditions. These guys are fit but not quite world class.

The 70 plus grandmothers I have seen paddling will amble along quite happily at 8kph for hours. I guess a 70 yo woman paddling a kayak is not all that common though so they might be quite special.

According to the attached chart I am at the bottom end of untrained male at full-time rate. I am not overweight. In my defence I am on the mature side of 55yo. (The chart is from the xls file you could not open) At the 5 minute level I can match the bottom of the moderate. Peak power is back at the bottom of the untrained.

Rick W

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.