Gm Hei

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by karlman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. karlman

karlman New Member

I installed automotive GM HEI distributors in my 1988 boat with twin 454 Crusaders. Removed and locked out the vacuum advance. Is this all I would need to do or would the weights be removed? Noticed that the old point style distributors have no advance vacuum or weights. Have called many companys and cant get a good answer on how to set up these distributors.Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You just made an illegal installation that is VERY DANGEROUS. It is an automotive distributor that doesn't have a spark arrestor. Please change it.

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Gonzo's right. If you still have your old distributors, there are electronic pickup conversions available for about what it costs to rehab those HEIs.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.