Bio Diesel

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by darrenyorston, Sep 12, 2006.

1. darrenyorston

darrenyorston Junior Member

Hi there,
    With the ever increasing price of diesel I have considered using biodiesel. Is anyone else using it in there boat? I saw it being used in Vanuatu a few years ago; there's is made from coconuts. Availability in Australia is very low as to be almost non existant.

2. StianM

StianM Senior Member

You could go to your local store and pay them a smal amount for exspired cocking oil or cod liver oil or whatever they got off animal and vegitable oil's.

Mix it 50-50 with diesel and I think you will do fine.

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Search these Forums for "biodiesel". You'll find lots of info.
    Cheers.

4. Amador

Amador Junior Member

Hi,
    To know more about Biodiesel, go to www.biodiesel.org
    Brazil is now going full power to biodiesel and biofuel ( mix of bio and petroleum fuel ).
    In Brazil several different type of grains are now used to produce Biodiesel.
    Regards
    Amador

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

If it's price you're worried about, you won't find much respite by switching to biodiesel. Around here at least there's no cost savings. Good commercial modern biodiesel, as far as I know, is pretty much compatible in any blend (even 100%) with most engines, but the home-brew varieties don't always work so well in all motors. Among the things to watch for is that biodiesel actually cleans out the fuel lines very nicely, and so if you've been running on petroleum for a while, you'll run through a few fuel filters.
    Stian's blend idea works very well in many motors, but there are a few that won't like it- make sure you check with your engine manufacturer if you do this.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.