New Project

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by dskira, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

My latest project is now at the end. The Loudoun will be in the water as soon the ice melt.
    It is time to think for the next one. In these very cold days, I designed a 35' schooner of 11 tons displacemnet and 592 square feet of sail. Designed to be built of wood, double sawn frames, double longitudinal planking. Very classic. All ballast inside representing 38% of the displacement.
    This is some drawing of this project.
    Daniel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Wow, that is an epic design, dskira! Absolutely love it and can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I know this is a dumb question, but what does "Double sawn" mean?

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I find this interresting definition on the Twinn Schooner. They wrote better than me :)

A double-sawn frame is made from several pieces of wood, known as futtocks or foot hooks, that are placed end to end to create the curve of the hull running from the keel to the sheer. A second frame that is identically shaped but has joints in difference places, is fastened to the first, forming a frame that is nearly as strong as one cut from a solid piece of wood.

Daniel

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Good morning, Daniel. I have enjoyed watching the build on the Loudoun. It is beautiful in every detail. I hope to lay eye on it someday.
    May this one be a huge success.

This time don't get hurt!

Cheers,

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Incredible, Daniel. What do you do with all the extra boats when you are done building them? Keep them? Sell them?

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Well, I will try to don't play Tarzan this time :D
    I don't have extra boat for the moment, just the Loudoun. I will use it for my enjoyment and cruise the coast of Maine.
    The schooner will be built by me, but this time I will have the ideal help: the owner!
    Time will tell!
    Daniel

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...looks nice mate, hopefully one day we will see her float.