Celotex / Kingspan panel

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rogerball0, Jun 24, 2013.

1. rogerball0

rogerball0 Junior Member

I'm still a long way off building the interior but can anyone tell me whether i can use the above closed cell panels to make a cored panel bonded using a PU sealant between 2 sheets of 3mm ply. The foam's density's are around 32kg/m3 mark, i realise this is about half the rated density for structural use but was thinking the ply would add strength to the panel.

So it'd be 3mm ply, 18mm foam then 3mm ply composite.

I would be using this to make settee bases and lockers etc in my boats interior. I was thinking of making panels then capping them on all four sides to arrest moisture ingress.

What's prompted this is the cost of corecell, divinycell, the cost and weight of bs 1088 not to mention the inconsistent quality we have in the UK unless you want to pay upwards of £150 a sheet for 18mm.

Any thoughts?

cheers roger

www.agentlemansyacht.com

2. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

Celotex or kingspan is so soft & friable as to be useless as a core for anything remotely structural. I know a company that sells seconds & its certainly cheap but its only use on a boat in my book would be as buoyancy blocks providing it was glassed over.
    One thing i have learnt recently is that many of the foam suppliers will feed you ******** & try & sell you a package of all the materials for your boat.
    In the end i dealt with Trident foams, who are an Airex supplier in the uk & a more helpful company you could not find. I also had plenty of questions for the Airex technical dept & they also were extremely helpful.
    I have used an Airex T 92 Pet based core for my project & its very cost effective per sq meter.

3. rogerball0

rogerball0 Junior Member

Hi Keith,

I've bought tricast foam sheet from trident a couple of years back, whilst the actual sheet was cheap the carriage wasn't. I used corecell bought from marineware to reinforce my keel stubs up the road from me but was over a hundred quid a sheet.
    the reason why I asked about using kingspan is I'm desparately trying to keep my project on track financially but the sheet materials prices keep moving upwards on an almost daily basis, especially plywood.
    I guess I'll need to work out how much foam I need to finish the project with and phone trident, the last receipt I found they charged me £52 for 2 sheets of 12mm and £50 for delivery!

Cheers rog

www.agentlemansyacht.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.