Globetrotter 45

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Eric Sponberg, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Sponberg Yacht Design has a new preliminary sailboat design called the Globetrotter 45. This is a serious offshore cruising sailboat that can be built in fiberglass, wood-epoxy, or aluminum. It is an aft cockpit, aft cabin design with a pilot house at 45 feet LOA (13.72 meters). The rig can be either a free-standing wingmast cat-ketch or traditional stayed cutter-rigged ketch as shown in the sailplans below. For more information, you can link to our website at www.sponbergyachtdesign.com, go to Boat Designs/Sailboats, and it is at the top. A complete description of the Globetrotter 45 is posted there with dimensional details and general arrangement drawings. Anyone further interested in this design can contact me through the website.

Thank you, and hope you like this.

Eric

Attached Files:

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Cat Rig Blue Cruiser

Very nice boat. I feel already relaxing just looking at her. Good protection in the Pilot Station against foul spray.
    Must be jolly to sail, no bloody nerving genoa, no changes of foresails, but relaxing and let the rig do the work for you.
    I've never sailed a Cat Rig but was years ago very interested in the Freedom of
    Gary Hoyt. Later on I saw the boat advertised by Freedom Yachts, but his name just faded away....?
    Good large galley and very spacey bathroom. Very attractive boat. Masts are pivotting, I believe?

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

D'Artois,

Yes, the masts are pivoting. The structural design is similar to the mast design I did for Wobegone Daze, a Freedom 38, which is described on my website in the Free-standing Masts section.

Garry Hoyt is alive and kicking in Rhode Island, designing boats and having them built. He designed the Escape line of dinghy boats. I got to know him when I was Chief Engineer of Tillotson-Pearson and we were building the Freedom Yachts. I did a lot of the design and engineering of the carbon fiber free-standing masts. Years ago, Garry sold Freedom Yachts, which still exists. They build the Legacy brand of powerboats now, although they still have the molds for some of the later Freedom designs and could build one if a customer so ordered.

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.