Global humans, Is warming to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Ancient,
    Nothing about GW, - - - PERFECTLY on topic :D :D - - - Seems I am not allowed to post positive feedback yet :eek: You seem quite normal, the child of a "frugal" - felt the constraints and remember the great Depression, - and an early "baby-boomer" and endeavoured to contribute and be productive in society, acquiring practical skills, useful knowledge, making time to help others, realise that "carrying the monkey of anger and retribution" is a waste of time and energy and understanding the meaning of a fair days pay for a fair days work...

I am called, "an ancient piece of s41t", by one who claims to be full of love... Being slightly younger than you, I find myself in a similar economic position, retired, own my live-aboard, boat - slowly acquiring fuel for my next long voyage (hopefully I will get to PNG this time...).. Let the GEC cause a systemic collapse - I need it not, as I am confident I will be one of the survivors - retaining reasonable comfort and peace.... I am just a farmer, which means I have learnt to be able to turn my hand to most things with reasonable competence....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsX5i2Y5gDY&NR=1 - Good vibrations....

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Now this is a very reasonable sounding guy. This is the way to live. I only have one question to ask about this story:

Did you financially invest in the future of your family or community in any way along the road you shared with us?

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

We brought up the standard family of 2, I was a hockey Dad, these days I volunteer in the community, and tithe, if that's what you meant by investing. mostly I worked my a$$ off and almost destroyed my health along the way but getting dumped by my employer probably saved my life. I traveled a great deal, worked with people all over the World, which left me with an abiding admiration for North American decency and willingness to work hard. Speaking only for myself I didn't find much of either elsewhere but met some brillinat individuals. Ultimately, they are all that matter. I have some regrets, but anyone with any sense wouldn't believe me if I said otherwise . . .

I always worried about the World, grew up with the atomic bomb and USSR Chairman Kruschev banging on his podium at the UN swearing to bury all us Westerners, spent teenage nights lying awake wondering if I was going to be alive in the morning. Now I see Muslims moving in everywhere, they flee the conditions in their native country seek refuge in these hospitable and safe shores, then demand the privilege to use Sharia law and generally retain the customs and mores that made their homeland a hell on Earth.

I don't understand why there is a problem with unemployment; there was a steady trend for shorter working hours and earlier retirement that should have advantage care of the greater efficiency of the modern workplace but somehow that is all going backwards. Somewhere along the line we seem to have traded our decency for bigger houses that need two incomes and a dizzy grind in an alcoholic haze with nothing but a heart attack at the end of it. I don't recall that being forecaste when I was young. They boomers let ourselves get screwed, didn't they! I was 1/2 generation ahead of that and passed on the booze and my wife was a full-time Mom and a part-time worker when the kids no longer needed her. Couldn't do that now.

My last boss was an unpleasant son-of-a-b!tch, good brain and a professional with a lawyer wife - when she had a child he was the one who took maternity leave because he earned less than she did. I can just imagine what my Dad would have had to say about that.

When I was a kid it always seemed to me that we humans were, by-and-large, living in an unsustainable manner and now I know it to be true: nothing has changed in that respect. I don't see today's kids looking around and seeing things that need to be fixed, I dislike cynics and treasure sceptics, and if there's one thing I have learned, it's that it is not about me . . .

2 people like this.
  4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Great post, Ancient Kayaker. Thanks for sharing it. I was just checking on your personal situation to see if you gave back to family and community along the way, since I see that as a major problem in the past 20 year or so. I notice people in the position to, aren't trying to improve their communities or even their own families.

I was kind of using your story as a data point and it's nice to hear that you are a positive piece of data, having given back.

I have a lot of respect for you after reading these posts. Thanks for sharing them.

BTW: I see why the cylinder mold strip planking was confusing a lot of people. A cylinder mold (as Kurt Hughes invented it) doesn't have sheer curve or any rocker in it. It's only there to bend the multiple layers of ply into a "C" shape and that's it. Each station is perfectly aligned with the next station and they are all the same size, from the same cutout. The sheer curve and rocker are up to the builder to wrestle into shape later on. I think that's where a lot of people were getting tripped up.

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Thanks for the kind words: I thought it was time the "other side" had a word or two for a change.

I have wound up my efforts on the stripbuilt cylinder molding method. Nice try but you can't win 'em all, is my feeling. I think the sheer curve and rocker are introduced in the original CM method by cutting the cylindrical molded half-hull to its profile before joining the halves and shaping the sheerline with the deck flange. In my method it has to be incorporated from the beginning.

Mostly my sheer plank developments tend to have straight edges in my plywood designs and I use the same method to get rocker with those boats. I am all about making things easy - maybe I got too close to a PDR and caught a bug when I first started building . . .

6. masalai

masalai masalai

In "Western society", I sort of feel like a round peg in a square hole, Just do not gel as I continually seek a sense of community and the time to share a workload with others...
    - - Inner city life seems to me like a frantic pace for the sake of that pace (going round and round in ever decreasing spirals until...) - well the outcome is sort of obvious and productivity is minimal to negative...
    - - In the remote regions of Melanesia, the pace is slow and comfortable and productivity is efficient and effective.... The sense of belonging, contributing, sharing and working co-operatively is worth all the effort in making the voyage to those remote regions...

I am gradually accumulating bits and pieces to facilitate implementation of some ideas that the communities may appreciate and need... Discussing their interest in some options and opportunities in some of the communities I visit, is the first step in a long process... - My way of thanking the people for their hospitality and friendship in my younger working years, (1970 onwards), and help in some way with what I have learnt over time ... some suggestions on how to adapt and market what they have in abundance, to a changing world...

7. masalai

masalai masalai

"Global humans, is warming to blame?"
    In general I feel frosty's frustration at the looming global situation, as per his opening post for this thread is starkly close to the mark...
    - - Religious dogma on all sides is becoming insane in intolerance and ignorant in adamant self-righteousness...
    - - Business principles of honesty and fair trade seem to be totally abandoned...
    - - Care and consideration for others is all but a forgotten ideal...
    - - If you believe that "God" made us and everything he/she/it really messed up here in this experiment...
    But, with some 2 milennia plus history, in the major religions, - - and we seem to be looking at the abyss - - and on brink of major social and economic collapse WORLDWIDE...

What are you doing?

I am preparing for a quieter life, helping to establish a more sustainable lifestyle and socially responsible community in remote tropical regions... Local social mores in helping each other and sharing resources, and adaptation of modern engineering to assist in recycling, re-use, repair and storage... Combine this with a blend of learned and developed skills to improve productivity thus reducing daily workload to survive in comfort and food security...

"Global-Warming?-are-humans-to-blame?", which is NOT "Global humans, is warming to blame?"
    from "http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/open-discussion/global-warming-humans-blame-13720-88.html#post509067"
    My feeling is that without a "tax" on pollutants, or fines on polluters, there will be no incentive to reduce the prolific global pollution expelled into the environment be it Co2, methane, used-tyres, rubbish consigned to "landfill-sites", or tipped into the oceans...

I am looking at "producing" carbon credits for sale by sequestering carbon... Presently Australia is "talking" about Au$20/1000kg - I would like to see a more realistic price but $20 will work for me a tonne (1000kg) of carbon equates to 3500kg of CO2 so which are 'they' referring to? C or CO2?

What many seem to forget is that it is NOT land temperatures that drive climate change but the OCEANS WATER temperatures, and significantly sea surface temperatures - - - as that is what drives the global weather cycle...

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am de-sequestering carbon as fast as possible. Don't try to sell me any carbon credits. I'm not in the market.

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

This nice lunch I've just had made me think of that problem... Do you believe that beans should also be added to the list pollutants, and hence should be taxed?

1 person likes this.
  10. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Back to topic, I read in Bible, on the last day, hell and the sea shall give up there dead. I know hell is/was a greek word meaning the grave, but to be on the safe side, burn me and toss my ashes into the sea. to bad it ain't legal to just drop me overboard sewn in my hamock with the last stich thru my nose.
    For giggles sake, put up a small stone on a seaview headland somewhere as my monument. Inscription "Here lies Capt Sears, who was lost at sea and never recovered."

11. Yobarnacle

to err is human,...to forgive, is divine. Neither is Marine Corps policy.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi daiquiri,
    I presume you mean "baked beans", as in the notorious Heinz tinned produce commonly used to induce flatulance? - As far as I can determine they are taxed indirectly to cover the tax obligations of the manufacturer and grower as well as the GST (sales tax) imposed in Australia and some other countries...

Methane production from cattle? that will be a difficult problem to rectify...

Hello Capt Sears,
    There is still the option of a "Viking Funeral", as I understand it, you need to have someone set course away from land with you safely stowed on your preferred boat, and a delayed fuse to cause ignition of your boat, sufficiently distant that flammable consummation will be effectively completed and the rites of passage fully observed... Do not forget the obligatory silver coin for final passage across the River Styx, (I think) ... GO in PEACE :D :D :D :D :eek: - - - That is my present planning...

13. Yobarnacle

Interesting. And, my ancient ancesters were mostly vikings from several sources in the family tree. Theres at least one ancester was native american. But, don't burn my boat! Couldn't i have a viking funeral aboard, say, a hydrogen filled truck innertube?

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Tender / dingy may work, carrying several containers of fuel, but then your "crew" on the mother ship may be seen as culpable or be subjected to criminal proceedings... Not easy to arrange nowadays...

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I think giving back to the community is about the most important thing you can do. Granted figuring out how to survive this place comes in a close second but still, if you watch our for your neighbor your neighbor is more likely to watch out for you.

My neighbor had a guy he let stay in his camper out back while he was away, naturally I see someone with a truck backed up to Bobs tool shed moving stuff in and out and I call him about the same time I confront the guy. He's a little sensitive abut being yelled at and told not to move even though its been a few weeks but I know Bob sure appreciated it. By the time the cops would have arrived his stuff would have been all gone if thats what was actually happening, turns out the guy was just storing some stuff in the tool shed and need to get something.

its a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours kinda world, or at least it could be if folks actually practiced what they preached

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.