Global economic situation for liveaboard cruising yachties

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by masalai, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Is this my blog? or are there other people who have a supporting of counter view - What is your take and will you need to hone your immediate survival tactics - options/living in small community/long range survival options...

My take on near future events is the collapse of the US and maybe European economies, severe reduction in the availability of oil/diesel, supplies (food) will be seasonal and locally grown. Energy will be very carefully used by individuals/households and stocking ready for winters, Mostly food will be from ones own back yard gardens from your own seeds saved from last season - "Real recovery" will take up 10 years and more...

Just think of the level of disposal purchasing in your life today - stuff you buy and then throw away most of it when finished - containers and wrappers cost, this throw-away society is almost at an end... Adapt and change to meet your future is the catch-cry...

Consider the basics behind "Permaculture" - simply the opposite of monoculture (hundreds or thousands of acres producing the same thing) - is there a lesson to be learnt from the "Irish potato famine"? - Enough is known about "companion-planting" so that insecticides and other chemicals can be discontinued, another name may be multi-cropping so you will have a few goats (meat and milk) a couple of pigs if that is to your taste (cannibalistic hangover? from the days when "long-pig was consumed), "chooks" (poultry) for those liking eggs for breakfast and in cakes (when one can get flour) - harvesting your own water, electricity. - Recycling vegetable waste products, dung and everything else - - - Oooh what interesting times and challenges to encounter....

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Masalai, Masalai, Masalai, Your greatest fears are unfounded. We will not be reverting to survival mode. We will no longer waste things as we have and cheap throw away boats will not sell. Relax a little and make a smaller budget. I had to sell both of my airplanes in 1986 but I suvived. It will not be a complete failure and breakdown. And besides who needs an airplane any way?????

3. masalai

masalai masalai

For your sake I hope you are correct, but thems are my concerns, I will still have my boat, as I have that set aside, and the boat will facilitate and support that lifestyle.... The fundamentals do not look very optimistic and most people seem to be "hunkering down" and getting ready to significantly reduce their living expenses by cutting out on luxuries that are felt to be not really necessary...

4. bntii

bntii Senior Member

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

friends Romans
    country men
    eat drink and be merry
    for tomorrow we could be screwed
    could be
    but the market is clawing its way back
    little by stuttering little

6. masalai

masalai masalai

bntii, I have - half of the eggs in one basket :D:D:D - - sitting in the basement waiting for the elevator to commence 'going up!"... next floor soft-furnishings.... next floor ladies cosmetics and underwear.... next floor jackpot winners only... :D:D:D

A tale - tall and true?
    The evil that men do lives after them, the good, oft interred with their bones - sadly does not seem the norm these days? The noble Bernanke hath told you "...greed is good and I will fix everything..." - and he has done so - fixed as in totally ruined.....

As soon as the Japanese, Chinese, Europeans, Russians say enough is enough, it will be so and the noble Bernanke will be berift and greiving for the population will arise and NY will be a fearful place of gnashing of teeth and wailing of despair...

7. bntii

bntii Senior Member

8. masalai

masalai masalai

bntii, - Thanks for the heads-up... - - "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bntii again."...

9. bntii

bntii Senior Member

10. masalai

masalai masalai

I have no great admiration for Bernanke or his predecessor Goldfinger :D:D

Thanks for the "alternative" link we have our own over here and I am pretty well sorted Thanks...

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I knew it was something like that
    one of the gov boys opens his mouth and the market tumbles
    you would think they would learn

12. masalai

masalai masalai

All part of the system to screw the economies and citizens of everywhere even further...

One can only wonder at the level of "vested interest and bugger the rest", that is being applied by uncle Ben and cohorts...

Blind Freddy could do a better job of setting a course to recovery . . with a plague of diseased rats infesting the house/city, first one must clean away all the food and then get rid of the rats before restocking can even be considered.... then rebuild parts to keep future infestations OUT....

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

dont let it get to you Mas just move ahead with your plans and life and make the best of it
    no sense in focusing on things you can do nothing about

14. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Big difference between a ripple in a pond and draining/filling the whole mess.
    One exception I would gladly cite- Obama's 03/09/09 "good time to buy stocks" remark seems to have had a profound effect on the markets. I suppose this is why sitting presidents have their market holdings impounded and don't generally make these kind of utterances.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Ben probably told him to say that so Bens cohorts could offload their toxic assets:D?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.