Global economic situation for liveaboard cruising yachties

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by masalai, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well that was a boring day of watching small advances and pull backs
    Im out at 8900 for a small gain on the day
    not my best but a gain none the less
    B

2. masalai

masalai masalai

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Well, 'all's quiet on the western front', so that begs the question - ? What is cooking? something is afoot and everyone seems quiet again... The $US index is still falling, some of the other currencies are not rising against the $US and gold is slightly lifting/hovering, major share bourses seem nervous and the chartists seem to be getting more and more excited but nothing is happening???? Anyone got a working crystal ball? - - I'll settle on some inside trading info?

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

the Chrystal ball says the mid range chart is within predictable range starting from March 16 to today
    its at the low end but its in the ball park
    matter of fact you can draw a trend line between 7 lows that all hit this support dead on
    this being the 8th
    so this bottom was a fairly easily predicted buy area for SSO
    I got in at about 8910 and now its hovering round 8962 Im thinking that after three days of bad performance the market wants to bounce a little and its in the perfect spot to do so and has done so 7 out of 7 times it previously came to this level in the past few months
    all in all a very predictable day even though the fall off in stocks was a bit dramatic and went outside the shorter term norms
    its still following a generally Bull movement given a longer term look
    time will tell
    Ill clue you in on my success or failure at the end of the trading day
    B

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

got out at 8991 for a nice gain on the day

cheers

was just over spying some great picts Mas
    way to go looks like the boat is coming along well
    you are an inspiration
    B

6. masalai

masalai masalai

This is an interesting market leader/marker http://financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/iacono/2009/0514.html , bloody y/hell the feeds are quiet? is everyone watching and waiting for the first fall off to mark the end-game of this bear-trap-rally?

I feel that this must be a bear-trap as there are no fundamentals or solid ground on which to support the "optimism" apart from a herd wish led by the chutzpah experts in the mass hysteria/media... Been reading for more than an hour and opinion seems bullish & bearish - one says copper up/strong and another says weakening over the week and the same for just about everything, so do I do the cartoon stunt and panic about exiting stage left or right? - Not likely, just take a deep breath, admonish : "**** it all" and continue with building my boat:D:D:D....

Lovely lady has had enough of trying to teach stupid people who have no desire to learn (pulled the pin and is on stress leave - determined never to go back to the high school, and is discovering how much stress and tension it was costing, Our little floating island is seeming to be more attractive every day of the build...

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I agree with the Bear Trap theory to a large degree
    we have borrowed our way out of trouble and thats not ever good
    basically mismanagement got us in this mess and profits from it
    why would it want to change ( I have always avoided borrowing money )
    other than to bilk more money out of a system that could not possibly have survived

I just dont have time to read all this stuff your posting for us Mas
    but Ill try to catch this last one while my salmon soaks up some of that sauce I just drenched it in

interesting
    I didnt know any of that about copper mate
    thanks for the post
    B

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, is that FRESH salmon - you lucky sod, All I can get is the frozen stuff "that John West rejects" or tinned stuff.... I am keen to trawl a line whilst sailing and pray for enough to give me a fresh fish diet...:D:D:D

With most of the stuff I post, I speed read, and about a third or less I will re-read carefully when I have printed it out - so I can mark key points for future reference... otherwise it is either actual or memory "stickey notes" to mark event triggers to watch for...

Like you with your market play, after a while you get to know what to look for as keys or triggers and the rest becomes background mumble/rumble... On thinking about copper, it is a highly useful metal and fairly expensive so small inventories only are carried so it becomes a leading indicator of/for many market sectors - ergo the name of Dr Copper could be quite justified...

9. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Mas,

You can buy very good aussie salmon, even sell it at Wollies!

You need to get out more my friend!

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yerp
    was a nice fresh wild caught salmon and dam tasty to
    the local market gets it flown in from Alaska and sells it for sushi. I buy some fresh when Im there but other than that I just get the frozen stuff, its a lot cheaper.

we got great smoked salmon as well
    my friends neighbor is a Inuit and dam that boy can smoke a fish
    unreal it is
    ever seen a whole dinner party close there eyes on that first bite and all go
    mmmmmmmmmmm
    Ive seen it once and we all about fell off our chairs in tasty bliss
    it was fresh salmon sun dried and smoked over some secret pile of wood when it was about half dried out already
    I think he puts ground willow in on the fire of something but its not hickory or anything you would normally think of
    he uses what they would use in Alaska and is having a great time keeping it secret from me
    Mark might know

and ya, most of the crap coming out of the financials is just blither, all you need do is look at the charts and check out the indicators exactly as you say

best
    B

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Shhh I know that, but Boston didn't - now my reason for posting is shot :D:D:D:D Then again I am very weary of fish in shops - How old is it? Nothing like the flavour and pleasure of 30 minutes from being caught to eating....

12. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

why wait so long.......

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Well one has to haul it in, de hook, then head for a nearby beach and make a fire of salty driftwood and depending on size of fish and preferences, - - gut, scale and cut it up or wrap it in leaves and bake it with watercress, fern-leaves, and maybe some bush/sweet potato and stuffed with fresh grated coconut and coconut-water mix, all secured inside a couple of banana leaves...

Then again it depends on what other stuff you have and how hungry you are?

14. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Ahhhh you need a boat mate, haul it in , give it to the cook, get out the beer and sit and wait.....

Back in Brissy tomorrow, I sould come and see the mess you are creating, always good fun eh.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

But, But But, I'm the cook & bottle washer :D:D?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.