Global economic situation for liveaboard cruising yachties

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by masalai, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

That comment is sure to upset the ostriches :D:D:D:D Got some fire-extinguishers handy? - or how about some padded sumo-suits? - been all too quiet lately... Have all the rabids gone on holidays?

2. masalai

masalai masalai

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I pretty much already do that Mas
    just today I was drawing lines and alternating between time frames to make a few trades
    ended up being my worst in a while and I just barely got out without a loss
    I had to hold through some pretty hairy pull backs
    was a miracle I was able to chalk up two minuscule gains today
    thing is I made a classic error in holding on when I should have stopped out but I hate losses and I knew ( famous last words ) the market would turn
    it did, but just barely, enough to make up for trade fees

I did great day before though and day before that as well

today was my worst day in ages but Im still on a healthy streak so I got no complaints

4. masalai

masalai masalai

The intrigue in Wall St. http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/casey/2009/0506.html whatever next Bernanke/Paulson/Lewis-gate? who goes for what - depending on who cuts a deal with prosecutors first.

I am having no luck as the AU$ is climbing as fast as Gold bullion so almost no change in the past 4 weeks and more.....

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I kinda stay away from commodities cause they gauge over such long periods its harder to see whats up

6. masalai

masalai masalai

I kinda distrust stuff that has a foundation as strong as the guy selling the Brooklyn Bridge at the local pub (fiat currency and derivative paper)

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

that was hilarious
    Im laughing my *** off over here

8. masalai

masalai masalai

What at bntii's withdrawn/deleted post or what?

Todays read indicates gold is almost ready to surge boldly up where nobody would have believed less than 6 months ago http://financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/trendsman/2009/0507.html and why (history repeats), then the major banks have been lieing and cheating and stealing and trading whilst insolvent (illegal?) which means do not have any faith in the greenback as it may well collapse in a giant leap of global "no-confidence".... http://financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/willie/2009/0507.html

The time has come....

9. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Boston, ol' buddy, are you day-trading?

Why are you wasting your money on fees for transactions? Unless you are investing serious money (milllions) there's no value in day-trading for a small player. You'd do better by following masalai's advice and buy gold for a medioum-long term.

Is the stress you talk about worth the trouble?

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

only stress today is that if Id have held longer I would have made more
    got out with a .54 gain early adding leverage thats 2.32% gain on my ttl funds in about :45. I could have held out and doubled that but Im far more into steady small gains than Im ever after that one big move. Day trading is kinda fun. Im on a 18 trade winning streak as well so there is not much stress to it. Ive learned to wait for the big trading days and hold my horses on days that are less predictable. Mas has a good plan but he's got all his eggs in one basket. I dont fault him a successful trade and he sure seems to know that market well but given that day trading is a moment by moment experience that I can quite at any moment I find it less stressful than holding my bets over the weekends or through economic uncertainty.
    besides
    Im a red man kicking the white mans *** at his own game
    whats so stressful about that brother

B

11. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Masalai-

I sometimes find myself committing the unpardonable sin of offering unsolicited advice...:eek:

So deleted same.

What the hell life is short!

Boston- buy buy buy.

The auto suppliers are going through the roof!

Seems the Chinese economy only faltered to the incredible rate of 6% growth. Auto sales strong there.
    Largest EU market for autos in Germany rebounded by 40% as $ for junkers gov plan is enacted.
    5 billion goes to suppliers from US gov.
    Cash for junkers passes congress in US.
    Folks have figured out that the roof in not falling in on other fronts.

100- 200 percent gains in some of these in a couple of days..... Serious cash is crossing the table at huge trading volume.
    Of course the 20 year of the S&P shows chart action of the largest bull trap in the history of the index.......:)

You will laugh Boston..
    The travails of trading:

I looked a the chart action for LEA and thought the thing was ready to go through the roof.

I picked it up at .81 and sold at .89 in a fit of expert foolishness..
    It went right to 2 bucks is two days..

This is a security I have been trying to buy a position in for 6 months.. I watched it sit at .3 for two days thinking to myself: "boy that is cheap- don't see that every day..." and didn't buy a single share!

I am now mortgaging the farm to try and get a 10k share position at 600% higher cost... still a bargain..

LEA was trading at $50 bucks a share last year.........
    Ten thousand shares of LEA costs/traded for $500k last year. At .3 would have cost me $3k... I am now going to pay 20k for it a month later....:( See what I'm saying B? Buy some stock in almost anything. Buy some AA... some AXL... some LEA... anything... we will not see these levels again in our lifetimes.

Of course Bernanke intomes: ".. in case we see a far deeper recession than we anticipate.. the banks need to be ready."

That doesn't sound too cheerful does it??

I need to get out more............

edit- got 2000 shares of lea. All the cash I had on hand. Gained 10% since I purchased 10min ago. Now up 50%.. it will cross 100% gain today.

AXL is breaking out. Gained 160% today by noon.. now crossing 200% gain. I am not on that train :(

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya Ive missed bottom more than a few times
    its almost ( almost ) funny to take a profit and watch your sell then continue on to greater gains
    Ive done it more than a few times
    but its also a hedge
    Ill take smaller gains that are sure things rather than sit back and watch a profit disappear in a pull back
    telling myself as I watch it moving
    ok I got .5 gain if I loose more than .15 of it Im out
    and thats the pull back Im willing to tolerate and keep my gain

Im in again just as the market went stale so hopefully the momentum will move my way again

B

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston & bntii,
    Be weary and cautious, something is afoot in USA - another Bernanki or cohort pronouncement causing the markets to have a fart attack? not sure what yet but some leaks here make me worried for you folk....

Also my links of yesterday may also point to some significant development - - - loss of faith by the rest of the world in the US$ as the foreign exchange fluctuations make US$ based trade impossible so as a currency of international trade may be DROPPED which would really f%#& the US internally too, also the chartists affirm this potential as well as steep upward movement on gold bullion only needing a small trigger.... see my post #188 above...

bntii, it is all about sharing info - bugger the pc ****, clarity and immediacy is the key from now on... I would be inclined to suggest you folk get out of anything US$ denominated or based - park your asserts offshore in another currency or semiprecious commodity. I feel it is close to fanning faeces time...

Peruse today's posts from here (scroll down a bit) and back up a bit to follow the link to download or listen to parts of the pod-cast as well http://financialsense.com/index.html

14. masalai

masalai masalai

http://www.dailyfx.com/charts/Chart.html and selecting <instrument> will allow a range of different currencies to be checked and I feel this shows the US$ is being DUMPED in a controlled fashion, almost globally - Gold will surely follow soon as nothing can save this momentum of sentiment expressed by the rest of the world against the US$ - Gold has not reacted yet so those with US$ may do well to buy gold BULLION (not US$ paper relating to gold as it will likely risk falling too...

This supports my contention http://financialsense.com/editorials/morgan/2009/0508.html

But this http://financialsense.com/editorials/swenlin/2009/0508.html may be the trigger for US$ collapse and other adverse events caught up in the trigger of the bear...

Demonstration of "no faith" in banks/US$ http://financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/martenson/2009/0508.html amd no suporting case here http://financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/2009/0508.html

More evidence not to trust the fed and major banks (the cartel) here http://financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/deepcaster/2009/0508.html

Well, here it is Saturday, so I am going grocery shopping, to show lovely lady work progress on the boat, and then on Sunday, after church, going to visit Mum for Mothers Day - so aveagoodweekend and dontforgettheaeroguard (insect repellant)...:D:D:D:D:D

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

while Il grant you that the times are tough and that there is talk of China and USSR trying to squeeze the American $ from the world market standard Im not seeing it as happening anytime soon.
    things need to be a lot worse than this to make that happen
    but
    all things being equal
    and they are not
    this market is artificially high
    anytime that happens there is likely to be a significant and surprising drop
    over the last 5 days the S&P has been on a sharper increase than over the last 30 days
    indicates to me that the move to end tax breaks for companies shipping jobs overseas was met with approval in the market place
    also job loss was down and home sales up
    so who knows
    bt I think there will be a pull back at some point in the near future
    best
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.