Global economic situation for liveaboard cruising yachties

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by masalai, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

2. masalai

masalai masalai

"Single Woman Skipper Planning Liveaboard and cruising life." - bugger I thought it said "stripper" Oops - sorry....

Further to Landlubbers post to which you refer, I too was in the Melanesian region, (for example, I stayed in a motel in Vanuatu -1980 - for 3 months and total averaged daily spend was about US$5. per day.), 1970 to 2007 on and off and costs and fees have escalated, and I am sure you will find the same in the Caribbean only more so as Usanians seem to be spendthrifts or avoid payment (either way cruelling a long established system for the regulars - from bitter experience in Melanesia).

Visa, lights and harbours fees (no navigation lights and no harbours except when a "deal" is made with the local chief...) and sundry reasons for more outgoings. You must have reliable communications to invite inspection and then to pay for customs and quarantine clearance....

The days of "free and easy" wandering are fading quicker than a tropical sunset - If the New World Order gets off the ground your plans may make you an "outlaw" or stateless person... Lets hope that there is a major economic collapse in the "Western World" then the cruising sailor will be welcomed as a form of transport in the more remote island regions....

Just go to Cuba via another country - stupid bureaucrats.... or seek to get a passport from another country and travel on that.... without telling Uncle Sam...

bntii, Thanks

3. ImogeneZ

ImogeneZ New Member

Geezzz

guess we know what thinking about.. pretty normal... but help me out here... !

1 person likes this.
  4. masalai

masalai masalai

I read page 2 and this would require the authority and power of God, as he proposes to fix the disaster that no-one saw coming (in his clique) by printing stuff on lots of paper and waving it around as would a magician?

WOW what chutzpah, what self-confidence... (what a load of ******** - definitely no skills in economics fundamentals displayed or applied) - - One cannot print ones way out of a severe debt situation... the collateral damage will just worsen the situation and lose any friends that may have been prepared to render assistance....l

5. masalai

masalai masalai

ImogeneZ, Sorry if I seem abrupt - not much I can add as The Carib is not my playground, but do not expect anything as you would in USA, except near a well established marina that services the needs of USA customers - and that WILL be very expensive as the supply lines are irregular, expensive and every other problem you can imagine... (just relating similar experiences)

I am biased, and would suggest a used cat and remove all the crap that weighs it down, then you can sneak up a creek to shelter from any storms, and anchor a lot closer to the shore (away from those heavy monos who may drag an anchor) - and lots of other reasons....

Work out how to supplement your income by cheffing / pastry cooking at tourist resorts.... secure free berthing rights in their marina... Some of the more remote homestay/B&B/eco-cultural-experience, boutique resorts can be fun to cook for....

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I think its a great idea Imo
    thing about the Bahamas that everyone tells me is you need shallowest draft you can manage
    that bit about sneaking up river may come in handy at least at the main island Williams I think it is
    place is riddled with inlets and bays
    but the best thing to do is just out run any of the really ugly stuff storms and the like
    even just for mooring shallow is cheaper and if you get in late might be all they have left
    so go shallow if you do not already have your heart set on a particular design yet

but Im all for ya and I hope you have a great time
    best
    B

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi all, - - - work has started and I am buggered after the first day :D:D:D Things will improve over time as I learn the ropes of this project. So I will be eating, getting ready for tomorrow and off to bed....

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Work?..... All this time on this thread and he has still not learned the ropes??
    :p

Boston- we bounced down off the 855 number on the S&P, again.....

Support down at ~832 will drop through... me thinks ;;;;:)

If drops I will buy up some things on the cheap..

I am in 'fake blood', bottom feeding..

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

good luck Mas you can do it just relax and take it all in stride and hey, dont be to ancious to get building but instead spend as much time as you need on the layout. Everything starts from there and a good build begins at the beginning, sounds dumb but a lot of projects get messed up because someone wanted to rush to the fun parts.

hey B
    I got in at 841.2 today SSO and am still waiting for something to happen
    kinda taking a chance on this one cause the markets been so volatile but I waited out yesterday so the graph could form in this new trend

dam I just wish the gov would stay out of it
    B

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

just got out at 845.3 for an ok profit but not great
    I could have stayed in longer but I just dont trust this market
    dam it just jumped to 847.5
    oh well
    Ill take my small sure bets rather than risk a loss

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

turned out to be a bad call on not flipping my buy at about 848.4 and which is exactly were my ten day trend says it should on average top out and now its dropping to what should be about 837.3 by the end of the day assuming it drops to bottom of that same ten day average trend which also just happens to cross one of the strongest 30 day support lines.
    its kinda dead in the middle now but I think it will tank before the end of the day
    oh well
    hind sight is 20/20

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston - seems your planning was 20/20 but you got infected with the "greed" virus, but briefly :D:D:D:D sincere commiserations.

But sadly this is the only contribution I am allowed to make "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Boston again."...

13. masalai

masalai masalai

14. masalai

masalai masalai

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

no I actually took two small gains yesterday
    one was for .41 the other was for .42 before leverage
    I could have done better on both but I wasnt feeling to confident in the markets movement so I got out early on both trades and didnt flip from long to short when I could have
    thing is I wasnt greedy enough to grab the full market potential
    oh well
    and not trading at all today
    so whats up with your build

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.