Glen-L Tango as a power cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by richardf, May 15, 2013.

1. richardf

richardf Junior Member

I have completed one build, a 9-1/2 ft S&G pram, that is now used on our local river, and local small lakes. I am 6' 2" and 190 lbs, so I max out this little boat, but it is a lot of fun. It rows well and the little 30 # thrust ETM pushes it right along. I motor up the river and casually drift back down.

My second build is about 75%. It is a 14 ft outboard skiff that is based on Spira International's Seneca. It is screw and glue plywood on lumber yard pine frames. It is a "big" 14 footer (about 250 pounds) and should be great for two big men fishing. This will be my primary fishing boat. I am building it open with lots of room for fishing.

In my part of the country everyone has a pontoon boat for just cruising around and having a good time with friends and enjoying the weather and beauty of the water. I would rather build a wooden boat than buy a pontoon boat. I want something I can build myself from wood, that will hold 4 adults, and will just motor around on little fuel and not much noise. Because I go to the Lake Michigan Eastern shoreline I want a boat that can motor out from the connected lakes and rivers into the big lake when the weather is reasonable. My boat should be able to take up to 4 foot swells and winds to 25 knots, while I hurry back to shore. This is one of the reasons I like the idea of a motoring sailboat; I know they can handle the weather better than a broad stern powerboat; plus I like the looks better. Most of the weather is from the West, so getting off the big lake means a following sea.

Just like most of you who build your own boats, I am not even through with this one and I am already thinking of the next bigger one.

The Glen-L 19 is another boat I am interested in. It is a little longer, displaces about 150 pounds more than the Tango, with the same beam and hull weight (according to the specs, anyway).

Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.