Painting an old aluminium boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by philzero44, Mar 23, 2008.

1. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

I have an old painted ally boat that's in bad need of a repaint,but after talking to people about using one pack or two pack paint I'm not to sure what to use.I was wondering has any body painted one lately.Thanks Phil.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

sand it heavily, with power sander if possible
    Acid wash it, then when dry apply a heavy coat 2 pack epoxy undercoat , something like altex number one, you can shove on as much as you can afford in one hit if you have a decent gun
    Then you can either just spray on a finish, three times around 20 mins in between, with 2 pac, altex or if you want a job thats perfect and does not chalk for 12 years interspray linear urathane at 100 a litre , bloody robbing retailers OR you can spray a one pack oil based high glosss house paint over it
    providing it is very clean forget the acid wash

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Yep, lazeyjack has it right, as it is an old boat, do not waste time and money sandblasting etc etc, just do the best you can and accept that it will be OK for only a linited time. The 12 years is quite true for the paint, but I doubt it will be sticking to the old alloy for that long.

I did a Fisher 25 dive boat about 18 years ago, but did it correctly (again with Altex and linear poly) and it still looks very good today.

4. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

Has anybody heard of epinamel hb primer and salcomix 603 top coat thanks Phil

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.