glassing in plywood deck replacement

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mark.k, Jan 17, 2011.

1. mark.k

mark.k New Member

Hi

I am currently in the process of refurbing a number of old displacement boat, the boat have all been left for a number of years and are well rotten!

Basically all the boats bulkheads bearers and engine beds have now all been replaced and I am onto the deck having cut it all in today I am just wondering what the options that I have not considered are.

To provide the strongest long term solution do i need to cover the underside of the deck in a layer of chopstrand and then flow coat it? or can I treat it in some other way that will be quicker? I will of course be taping the top and laying a couple of layers of 2oz csm on the top and same with the taping.

Basically I am just after another opinion?

My favourite way of finishing decks is flowcoat with a kiln dry sand in it as it provides alot of grip and I think it looks quite smart but does anyone have any other techniques they like to try?

These are the first smaller boats I have worked on for a while having only really worked on really big stuff! what lay up would you have used for the engine beds to the hull to support a 3 cylinder volvo? you can never be to careful and is fully braced with other bearers anyway and will also have the floor glassed to the sides but just thought I would ask!

There seems to be alot of knowledge on this forum and thought I would ask you guys

Many thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.