Glass Tissue

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Gone Ballistic, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic Junior Member

Hi,

Another dull question.

I hear many people saying that the fairing process is one of the worst parts of amateur boatbuilding. Will laminating a very light fabric/tissue on the outer layer (building over a tempoary male mould) make the surface smoother therefor requiring less sanding/fairing.

Any other ideas would be interesting,

Cheers

Andrew

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

No. If you want fiberglass buildup in the outer layer, mat is the proper material. The sanding while fairing cuts into the fabric. Mat builds a thick layer and also prevents print-through. Production parts and boats are all built in female molds to avoid having to fair.

3. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

have u considered using a female mould. without wanting to sound dim, why are you fairing all your moulding. why dont you make a female mould full stop.

if fairing is still required, have your considering investing in polyester fairing compounds/high build, easily rub resins. As there polyester, you can apply as o the laminate is still curing, thus minimizing down time.

4. Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic Junior Member

It's a one off project and it's also on a bit of a shoe string. If I make a female mould then I won't save any work as the female mould will require all the fairing to begin with. It will also require more material.

What I am planning is plywood frames, then bead and cove foam core over these frames, followed ny the outer skin. First fairing will be the foam which should be quite easy. This will produce a fair surface. The second stage fairing is on the outer skin where the shape will be reasonably fair but rough. It's the roughness that i would like to avoid, therefor requiring less work smoothing.

Have I got this arse over elbow?

Cheers

Andrew