Glass tape butt joints

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by jalexfolds, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jalexfolds

jalexfolds Junior Member

Can I just butt two pieces of plywood together with glass tape on both sides as opposed to scarfing or butt blocks. Seems eaiser than scarfing and better looking than butt blocks.

2. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

Yes can be done, might do a web search for Bolger as a designer and look at his building methods. They do this. The joint though won't be anywhere near as strong as a scarfed joint. Might also do a web search for West Epoxy and look at their "scarfer", fits to a skill saw and makes cutting the scarfs quite easy and fast.

Bill H.

3. harleyxxx

harleyxxx New Member

Butt joint

I was building an 18 ft skiff in 1988 . I read an article in National Fisherman that talked about using butt joints with glass. They gave an example of the strength of the joint by extending the joint over an edge and jumping on the end of the sheet of ply. The ply gave way but the joint stayed intact. I used this type of joint on my boat and I am still using the boat for running a trot line for crabbing and I have not had any problems with the joints. I used 3/8 ply for the sides with the joints. I believe I still have the article and if I can find it I will post.